• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Porter87

Life Long 205

yeti-dj

the L-bracket is a an easy job, mine had a silver cap on top of what I think was a 19mm bolt.

prise off the cap, undo the bolt and remove, the bolt threads into a captive nut in the front sub frame so don't worry about dropping this.

remove, re-grease and re-fit..

good luck

Tom Fenton
5 hours ago, yeti-dj said:

the L-bracket is a an easy job, mine had a silver cap on top of what I think was a 19mm bolt.

prise off the cap, undo the bolt and remove, the bolt threads into a captive nut in the front sub frame so don't worry about dropping this.

remove, re-grease and re-fit..

good luck

I think its 22mm but otherwise spot on

Porter87

Thanks a lot guys, will be attempting this tonight. Mine also has the cap on

Had at a few more parts turn up so I best start fitting something haha 

EB70EE2D-AB39-4BD2-A13A-8CDFE9C6206C.thumb.jpeg.3f088f4ff57e330d4c8dc91bfd437339.jpeg

I was going to go for b6 but what I’m going to be using it for doesn’t really warrant it. The only thing I’m still unsure of is the ride height with the eibachs 

also got myself some 1.6 alloys. What’s the best tyre for the 14’s? It Looks like most are eco tyres 

Tom Fenton

You will likely need to lower the rear beam approx. 30mm to match the front. Makes the 205 sit as it really should as opposed to the standard ride height which looks a bit ridiculous.

I run Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on my 14" wheels, I'm happy with them.

• Like 1

SootySport

Same shocks and springs as mine assuming they are Eibach Pro.   Lowered the front by 40mm from the OE springs.  

Porter87

Thanks. I made sure I greased the bars when I hired it a couple of months back so hopefully it will be a bit easier. Am I correct in say 315mm hole crs on the rear for the drop? 

Ill look into the good years 

Edited by Porter87

Porter87

All linkages, short shift and bronze bushes fitted tonight, all went well and feels ten times better! 

BFD754A7-1C4C-4AF1-A436-502A4FCF4315.thumb.jpeg.1cc8f30133592b20f1807d102fa51992.jpeg0DCE681E-9B68-4552-8AAA-6B2C095F301D.thumb.jpeg.a471cb15af1de222c2e6991d2c468aad.jpeg

• Like 1

speno

Hi Steven doing some nice work there chap , I run the pscuk Derbyshire group we meet up the 3rd monday every month at the highwayman in Chesterfield . If you fancy dropping in you are welcome . This monday we are going for a drive out for a hour or so too then back to the pub for beer and food 

Tom Fenton comes too so good to pick up some handy tips from his wealth of knowledge  

• Like 1

Porter87
1 hour ago, speno said:

Hi Steven doing some nice work there chap , I run the pscuk Derbyshire group we meet up the 3rd monday every month at the highwayman in Chesterfield . If you fancy dropping in you are welcome . This monday we are going for a drive out for a hour or so too then back to the pub for beer and food 

Tom Fenton comes too so good to pick up some handy tips from his wealth of knowledge  

Hi speno, 

thanks for for the invite. What time do you normally meet up? I’ve just got to get the suspension and bits sorted then I’ll definitely pop up one night. Beer and food sounds good!! Just make sure you stay about 10 foot away from the car so you don’t notice the dents and ripples haha

speno
1 hour ago, Porter87 said:

Hi speno, 

thanks for for the invite. What time do you normally meet up? I’ve just got to get the suspension and bits sorted then I’ll definitely pop up one night. Beer and food sounds good!! Just make sure you stay about 10 foot away from the car so you don’t notice the dents and ripples haha

Normally from 7 45 on wards chap , if you are on face book search for pscuk derbyshire group chap . we are also doing ashover show on the 21st july 

Andy Wright also on here with his engine builds comes too 

Dont worry about your car it will be fine :O) 

Porter87
30 minutes ago, speno said:

Normally from 7 45 on wards chap , if you are on face book search for pscuk derbyshire group chap . we are also doing ashover show on the 21st july 

Andy Wright also on here with his engine builds comes too 

Dont worry about your car it will be fine :O) 

Nice one! Gutted I can’t make the show I’m working away with work. I’ll come on one for sure though soon, cheers

• Like 1

Porter87

I managed to get a  productive day on the peugeot yesterday with the help of a friends ramp. The work carried out was 

> new “fast road” Bilsteins b4’s fitted with

eibachs 

> new top mount bearings and rubbers

> new drop links 

> new wishbones 

> new polybush anti roll bar mounts

> new tie rod ends

> fast road bbm engine mount kit 

Car feels pretty tight now, just need to get the tracking sorted then I’m about there on the suspension side of things. The top engine mount was split in two! Explains the moment 

Getting there slowly 

8C34B99F-19EC-4E76-96AC-AF89C8D471A2.thumb.jpeg.4e6b152d747fe965c1dd81e80f20342a.jpeg2E1E4AC0-64DC-4BCF-83FC-FA4516179924.thumb.jpeg.f40d68c083ee1b358cdecf24a001776b.jpeg

Porter87

Well just bought my self a mi16 engine. Next task is getting it cleaned up and fresh, then installed. I’m going for the 4 branch exhaust manifold  and going to keep the inlet the correct length i think. Any tips on fitting will be greatly appreciated :-)

4AA2812F-4B48-419B-AF91-9409DA41FBDB.thumb.jpeg.d9b7f3c83506a7eeaa295764ff3cc8f1.jpeg

Andy

Whilst you are cleaning it up, may I suggest a new belt, tensioners and water pump for starters . Next, a 4-2-1 exhaust is nice to have, but beware of bulkhead/ tunnel clearance . Be prepared to trial fit first. Some cars are fine, others need some bulkhead work to clear . I presume you know about the wiring changes needed for the instrumentation .  Some  good guides on here . 

The xu9j4 engine is a lovely transplant for the 205 . I assume you have the ecu and loom for this engine and plan to run it on o.e management .

look forward to meeting you one Monday evening at the Highwayman if you can make it. Next meeting is Monday 19th 

Andy

Porter87
5 hours ago, Andy said:

Whilst you are cleaning it up, may I suggest a new belt, tensioners and water pump for starters . Next, a 4-2-1 exhaust is nice to have, but beware of bulkhead/ tunnel clearance . Be prepared to trial fit first. Some cars are fine, others need some bulkhead work to clear . I presume you know about the wiring changes needed for the instrumentation .  Some  good guides on here . 

The xu9j4 engine is a lovely transplant for the 205 . I assume you have the ecu and loom for this engine and plan to run it on o.e management .

look forward to meeting you one Monday evening at the Highwayman if you can make it. Next meeting is Monday 19th 

Andy

that's the plan, I'm even thinking of getting a rebuild to be honest. I've got a few full wiring sets, one recently off of Stuart along with the 2 row ecu which should be an easy swap. plan is to run it on OE management to keep a reliable engine build. My last one i had was on twin 45's but used to like to play up.  I'll try to get down on the 19th. I missed the last one due to traveling with work 

Andy

Right. Job number one is to do your homework. By that, I mean check what you already have. Not just the loom , but all the relevant sensors, the inlet manifold and throttle body. Is it a throttle pot or an air flow meter. Whichever, ( probably the latter) , make sure you have it/ them. Miles Horne does a nice 4 branch for this engine in a 205, but another option is to use the 8-1 that you have an a Peter Taylor wedge plate ( cheaper and works an absolute treat ) .Also make sure you have the LH  engine mounting ( looks like you have in the picture ) , distributor , coil and ignition amp . Your 8v alternator and starter motor will be fine 

As for an engine rebuild , remember that the costs can add up. Off the top of my head, they go something like this.

Full set of gaskets.........£130

crank bearings  plus thrust .......£60

clutch..........£100

belt, tensioners and water pump........£130

piston rings .........£90

liners ( budget for new ones ) ....£200

machine work( allow for head skim and block deck with liner seat reface to get the liner protrusion correct ).....£150 

valve guides and valve seat recut......£120 

valve springs .....£100 

All this above assumes that the pistons are good, the crank does not need a grind, you are not going to have a full engine balance ( another £250if you are ) , the valves and cams are o.k and the that pistons are in decent shape ( they usually are ) . In addition, the above assumes that you are doing this yourself. If you are employing someone, they naturally you will get a quote, but assume the above plus labour and sundry items .

• Like 1

Porter87

Thanks Andy, I have so far 

three wiring looms (one properly converted) 

three ecu’s (1x2 row, 2x3 row) 

2 AFM 

1 coilpack 

3 full length manifolds 

1 shortened manifold 

engine mount 

upgraded bbm engine mounts 

mi16 engine (arriving next Monday) 

1 ignition amp

1 mi16 starter motor 

what I think I need to buy us the 4 branch manifold from Miles and the rebuild stuff/service parts. Getting there slowly but it’s progress. After this it’ll be a full respray! £££££ haha

While on do you guys have any tips for fitting PAS on the mi16 engine? I already have PAS on my 1.6 8v, it would be nice to transfer it to the mi16 set up. Cheers 

Edited by Porter87

Andy

Pretty well stocked then . Good place to start. You will have discovered by now that 205’s are to money what black holes are to matter or light .

Andy

jackherer
39 minutes ago, Porter87 said:

While on do you guys have any tips for fitting PAS on the mi16 engine? I already have PAS on my 1.6 8v, it would be nice to transfer it to the mi16 set up. Cheers 

If you can find an Mi16 pump that's the neatest solution, it mounts above the gearbox and is driven by the exhaust cam so the packaging is really tight. But finding one is the issue, most Mi16 engines were from BXs so they didn't have PAS pumps in the first place and not many 405 pumps and brackets have survived.

I've fitted loads of 106/Saxo electric PAS pumps to 205s and I learned a while ago they were actually standard on some late non-GTI 205s in other countries so it could even be considered a period modification...

• Like 1

Telf

what is the thinking behind the Mi16?

Having just rebuilt my 8V I think it is pretty great- there seems to be a general move towards making 205s standard nowadays

Porter87
11 hours ago, Andy said:

Pretty well stocked then . Good place to start. You will have discovered by now that 205’s are to money what black holes are to matter or light .

Andy

Yes i have found this ha-ha, My old one was pretty bad but 10 years on, time hasn't been to good on the cars. I've also found a lot of people want daft money for parts and the cars themselves. 

10 hours ago, jackherer said:

If you can find an Mi16 pump that's the neatest solution, it mounts above the gearbox and is driven by the exhaust cam so the packaging is really tight. But finding one is the issue, most Mi16 engines were from BXs so they didn't have PAS pumps in the first place and not many 405 pumps and brackets have survived.

I've fitted loads of 106/Saxo electric PAS pumps to 205s and I learned a while ago they were actually standard on some late non-GTI 205s in other countries so it could even be considered a period modification...

thats the issue im finding, the pumps are no where to be found. I might have to go down the electric route then or take it off all together (im not sure about this option) 

48 minutes ago, Telf said:

what is the thinking behind the Mi16?

Having just rebuilt my 8V I think it is pretty great- there seems to be a general move towards making 205s standard nowadays

I just fancied more power to be honest, my old 205 was a mi16 with head work and carbs so that went pretty well. I do like the 1.6 8v engine but i just miss the mi16 noise and pull. I have been torn between keeping it standard and going with the mi16 set up. I'll keep the original engine and wiring loom just in case i decide to go back to the original set up. 

had a drive out to costa in her tonight also. turns some heads as its half the size of todays cars (really bad example with the fiat 500 haha!)

F3D7C252-7265-41D4-8551-D8D2934F2349.JPG

Edited by Porter87

Porter87

Does anyone know where to buy the angled plate for the exhaust? Just pricing up my options on the exhaust side. Cheers

Telf

I'm not knocking your decision to put the Mi in btw! It's your car etc I was just curious