• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

neil o

Wheel bearing and hub identification (Front)

neil o

Hello, I've got my hands on a H-reg 205Gti which has had a BX Gti 16v transplant at some point and I need to replace the front bearings. Can anyone suggest what might be the correct parts? I ordered 1.9 Gti parts from Eurocarparts but on the initial tear down of what's on the car the supplied parts are different; for example the hub nuts on the car are staked, the parts I bought have a pin for  assume is a drilled driveshaft! but the internal dia and tread seem the same. Looking into it it looks possible they could be from a 306, but I can't find any photos; there is a number cast into the carrier which looks like: 516693 or 515693, but that just comes up as a suspension bush! I don't know if it's relevant but I understand there is a LSD in there as well. Any help would be very welcome.

DSC_0549.JPG

Tom Fenton

If the driveshaft takes a 24mm diameter nut then it’s a 1.9 shaft. Thus you need a 1.9 bearing to suit. 306’s also use the same bearing. The 1.6 or base model hubs take a smaller shaft and bearing, the shaft takes a 20mm nut.

neil o

Thanks for the quick reply Tom. So can I order staked hub nuts for the bearing kit for a 1.9? The one's I ordered came with a pin.

SRDT

It should be a drilled drive shaft if it's a 1.9 Peugeot one but you can find lower quality parts with the nut from your picture.

Peugeot was also using this kind of nuts on the 309 with big hubs but smaller engines, it's easy for a manufacturer to use these cheaper parts to make a drive shaft that fits perfectly a 1.9 but isn't as strong that the real deal.

You can also find nuts that are smaller so that you don't need the famous 35mm socket.

neil o

Thanks, looking up images of 309 hubs  they do look a better match. 

welshpug

aftermarket stuff can be 24mm threads and staked, not often though