• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Atreides

Who still refurb's rear beams?

Atreides

Who do people recommend these days for getting a rear beam refurb?

I’ve decided to get my car back on the road after laying it up for 5 years, and although the beam seems fine, I want to take the opportunity to get it done now rather than inevitably later. I’m in Boston, Lincs and from what I recall, everyone that used to rebuild beams were always located on the other side of the country!

allanallen

Tom Fenton on here, he’s in Rotherham so 60-70 miles away at a guess. 

SootySport

Axles by Stef in Lyme Regis.  Long way but you can post by TNT as I did.

jord294
On 5/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, Atreides said:

Who do people recommend these days for getting a rear beam refurb?

I’ve decided to get my car back on the road after laying it up for 5 years, and although the beam seems fine, I want to take the opportunity to get it done now rather than inevitably later. I’m in Boston, Lincs and from what I recall, everyone that used to rebuild beams were always located on the other side of the country!

Worth the travel for a decent axle whoever you go to

Deek

I've two 205D rear beams in need of refurbishment.  Comments elsewhere on IM noted. Axles by Stef not too far away but does anyone have experience or opinions on:

http://abaxles.co.uk/en/about/

Long standing supplier originally in Axminster, now in Chard, Somerset

or

https://rearaxle.co.uk/product-category/peugeot-205/

Also now on ebay. Part of France Auto Services that seems to offer refurbs from a Polish factory. Interesting refurb process videos on the website.  Refurbs currently £180 + £45 delivery, no exchange beam required.

SootySport
6 hours ago, Deek said:

I've two 205D rear beams in need of refurbishment.  Comments elsewhere on IM noted. Axles by Stef not too far away but does anyone have experience or opinions on:

or

Also now on ebay. Part of France Auto Services that seems to offer refurbs from a Polish factory. Interesting refurb process videos on the website.  Refurbs currently £180 + £45 delivery, no exchange beam required.

The one from Poland is the standard axle, not GTI.     Why buy from so far away?

jord294
7 hours ago, Deek said:

or

You know the saying, buy cheap?

Just buy from someone who supplies axles with genuine or premium quality parts. Not all parts available from main dealer. But essential pieces are 

Deek

I didn't think I needed a GTI beam for a diesel.  Price may be a consideration for a car worth less than a grand that will only cover 3000 miles a year, even if it's been in the family from new.

The only prices for refurbished beams I've found online are about £250.  I'm not able to tell the quality or if genuine/premium parts are used which is why I was hoping someone had opinions on these suppliers based on experience.

Recommendations and contact details for refurbishers known to use genuine or premium quality parts would be appreciated.

SootySport

Missed the diesel bit but Stef does them all with the best available bearings.  If you diy then it will be cheaper.

jord294

If you get your axle to me, I'll rebuild it while you wait. 

I have mint tubes here just incase yours is fubar

Deek

Thank you Andy, good to know if I can't arrange something local.

I'd been considering the diy option and sourced what I think are good quality bearings and stub axles and read the various guides.  At the moment I've probably not the time to go through a learning curve doing it the first time.

jord294

Imho, nadella, koyo, torrington bearings are the best to use. Crossmember seal  (metal sleeve) I only use genuine peugeot part, as pattern are oversize.

Can't really comment on any other trailing arm shafts other than genuine or febi. Febi NLA, and genuine quite expensive. Although, I have an axle to build today for a  customer who is supplying me a pair of shafts to fit to his new axle which are supplied by (iirc), member on here

Ozymandis

Just to set You straight, "stub axles" are the shafts that Your wheel bearings go on to, You mean trailing arm shafts, best be clear or You might end up spending cash on the wrong parts.

The first one I did when I were a Lad, was a bit daunting, but with the aid of a 7lb sledgehammer was no problem.

Getting the torsion bars out of their respective arms is the most challenging part without damaging the machined recess the offset washers sit in, its easy to peen down the face into the groove whilst wellying away on the arm to force it down the splines,and get it sliding back and forth on the rust.

brianthemagical

Does anyone have experience with IM Axles?

https://www.imaxle.co.uk/

They're local ish to me and provide new beams with all new parts.

jord294

Couple of us on here that can offer better quality rear beams than imaxles. 

I've had 2 306 ones recently that were knackered within 2 years but imaxles didn't respond to their warranty when customers approached them.

erk

Hi there, long time lurker first post.

I have had a few gtis over the years, and I have had a project car in the garage for (has it really been that long...) 6 years, so it's now time to get on with it (especially as coronavirus has cancelled my Easter holiday here).

I need a new rear beam. It's a car with rear discs.

Who should I use, and what does everybody charge?

Imaxles are attractive as it's a brand new beam and I've not got to take my old beam off before starting the job. Cost is £430 delivered.

Who else could I get one off, and what do they charge? I've seen the ones on eBay for £180 but they're not GTi ones.

I'm based in Stafford, and could take my old one somewhere, but it'd need to be worth it, as I suspect it would be a squeeze in my normal car.

Any help much appreciated.

jord294

I'm pretty sure me and Stefan Golesworthy charge similar amounts. Cost more than imaxles, but our axles are built properly by enthusiasts. 

I keep axles in stock, and my price must include your axle as px

Mac Crash
12 hours ago, erk said:

Who else could I get one off, and what do they charge? I've seen the ones on eBay for £180 but they're not GTi ones.

I'm based in Stafford, and could take my old one somewhere, but it'd need to be worth it, as I suspect it would be a squeeze in my normal car.

if you can't or won't do it yourself... I'd go with tom fenton or andy (jord294) on here... not cheap but done right and that's what matters.

oh, and picked up a spare beam a while ago for parts and it fitted easily in the back of a Fiesta with the seats down no problem... I don't own a Fiesta, male ego and all that!

Got several GTi beam tubes and new bearings but too scared to try and put them in myself....

erk
On 3/19/2020 at 7:44 PM, jord294 said:

I'm pretty sure me and Stefan Golesworthy charge similar amounts. Cost more than imaxles, but our axles are built properly by enthusiasts. 

I keep axles in stock, and my price must include your axle as px

Thanks for your replies.

Where are you approximately in the country, and if I were to buy a new beam from you, how much would it be, and would it have the GTi torsion beams? It appears the imaxles rear beams use 18.5mm torsion bars which aren't correct for the GTi.

I've got another week or so of isolation left, so wondering if I can move my car refurb on a bit. My current rear beam is seized on one side, is it likely to be fixable/refurbable or will it be rusted solid and scrap?

boldy205

If its seized,  it's most likely scrap including the main tube, unfortunately. 

jord294

I'm north wales 

• Like 1

Deek

Jay - Thanks for correcting my loose terminology, I knew what I meant but my typing brain didn't....

Andy - Thanks for the brand advice.  I've unearthed the parts I bought when I was thinking of diy.  SNR Arm Bearing Kits KS559 and Auto-France Axle Shafts M4550.  The larger bearing has 45 rollers (or possibly 46, I kept loosing count). Hopefully these pass the quality assessment.

I have a spare beam tube, still in it's wrapping, bought from IM Axles ages ago.  Any advice on how to measure/check it's serviceable?

Years ago, before I knew anything about beam issues, I bought a beam from a breakers for a garage to fit so I know a beam fits nicely in the back of a 205 for transport.

I might be considered a fraud on this site as I don't have a GTI but it's such a great resource of knowledge for generic 205 issues.  A big thanks to all those who post advice, especially the experts and regulars.  I've had 205 diesels since '93 and covered about 400k miles, mostly with little more than regular oil changes, consumables and occaisional work by a garage.  Less money, and mileage, these days so I'm trying to do more work myself.

The current corona virus lockdown is an opportunity to think again about axle diy but  I'm also being told house diy is a higher priority!

Stay safe

Ozymandis

Houses will be cheaper in a few months, so the DIY`s not important, do your axle!

Not a lot to be wrong with the tube, if the ends where the bearings fit are not worn oval due to a collapsed bearing then use it.

I have seen one that had been twisted, and one that was bent, both from crashes, that`s over decades.

We have seven diesels, I like them too. There isn't a single system on one I cant rebuild or repair quickly and cheaply.

Rust is the enemy, concentrate on that, the engines go on and on with basic fluid changes, the odd cam belt and water pump. Coolant concentration is the key to long life.

Decent Track Control Arms have dried up, genuine bush kits are still available and well worth fitting if the ball-joints OK.

Injection pumps are the biggest expense if You cant do your own.

jord294
6 hours ago, Deek said:

Jay - Thanks for correcting my loose terminology, I knew what I meant but my typing brain didn't....

Andy - Thanks for the brand advice.  I've unearthed the parts I bought when I was thinking of diy.  SNR Arm Bearing Kits KS559 and Auto-France Axle Shafts M4550.  The larger bearing has 45 rollers (or possibly 46, I kept loosing count). Hopefully these pass the quality assessment.

I have a spare beam tube, still in it's wrapping, bought from IM Axles ages ago.  Any advice on how to measure/check it's serviceable?

Years ago, before I knew anything about beam issues, I bought a beam from a breakers for a garage to fit so I know a beam fits nicely in the back of a 205 for transport.

I might be considered a fraud on this site as I don't have a GTI but it's such a great resource of knowledge for generic 205 issues.  A big thanks to all those who post advice, especially the experts and regulars.  I've had 205 diesels since '93 and covered about 400k miles, mostly with little more than regular oil changes, consumables and occaisional work by a garage.  Less money, and mileage, these days so I'm trying to do more work myself.

The current corona virus lockdown is an opportunity to think again about axle diy but  I'm also being told house diy is a higher priority!

Stay safe

The new tube from IMaxles is most likely to be chinese. Only ever dealt with one, and that was first and last time. Can't comment on the M4550 shafts, as I still have febi and genuine

Ozymandis

I thought you meant a second hand tube.

Never seen a chinese one.