• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

Mi16 gearbox on 1.9 8V...what clutch do I need?

Atreides

My 205 has been laid up for about 5 years now, languishing at my parents’ house, and I’ve decided that it’s time to get it back on the road after recently realising just how much I miss driving it.

This is obviously going to involve various things needing replacing, and I figured I would use the opportunity to finally fit the Mi16 gearbox that I’ve had for years, as well.

As the box will be going onto my standard 1.9 8v engine, I have a couple of questions. I have a 1.6 flywheel I’d like to fit at the same time…is this possible, or would I need an Mi16 flywheel? Also, am I able to fit a standard 8v 200mm clutch, or will I need to buy a 215mm Mi16 clutch?

Any help much appreciated.

DamirGTI

If it's Jetronic car for which you do not need toothed flywheel , use the lightest you have is what i would do and that'll be 1.6 flywheel .

You can fit any flywheel from 180mm up to 215mm , but it's not necessary as the gearbox will fit no matter which one you choose .

One thing to look though , see if the mi16 gearbox you have is a push or pull type clutch (throw-out bearing) leaver .. as if it's a pull type you'll need to replace the leaver with a push type .

D

Atreides

Thanks Damir. You’ll have to excuse my ignorance (it’s amazing how much I’ve forgotten about these cars in such a relatively short time!), but I’m guessing mine will be running on Jetronic as a standard 1.9 8v?

Presumably, as I can fit the 1.6 flywheel, I will need to stick to a 200mm clutch then?

DamirGTI

If it's not an late model it'll be Jetronic .. can check by looking at various places like - writing on the ECU case which says Jetronic or Motronic , inlet mounted coil , no mechanical distributor , slightly different AFM (with the numbers ending "202" if i remember ..) etc. on Motronic car ..

No , with the 1.6 flywheel you'll need to fit 180mm clutch .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Atreides

Are you sure its a 180mm clutch on the 1.6? I thought it was a 200mm plate, the same as the 1.9, as the flywheels are the same diameter and swept area? Wasn't it the TU that had the 180mm clutch?

As said, I'm really rusty with this stuff and I appreciate any help. I don't mean to second guess, but I just want to be sure before going off to buy anything :)

Atreides

Thanks Damir...that's a handy site you've linked there, and I'm sure it'll come in very useful!

So just to confirm, if I fit my standard 200mm clutch together with the 1.6 flywheel when the Mi16 box goes in, there should be no fitment issues?

DamirGTI

Correct !

Except the gearbox leaver , if the current one on your mi16 gearbox is pull type it wont properly engage and disengage the clutch .

D