• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Deantracy17

Main Crank Bearings

Deantracy17

Hi. I’m looking for help. I am replacing a cracked block on my xu5ja engine and have sourced a replacement 1.9 block.  I am fortunate as the replacement block is not badly corroded. I have seen some bad cases of liner seat corrosion on some threads in this forum. Looks like I dodged a bullet there.  I am hoping to transfer the crank and bearings over to the new block. Are the bearing bores in the blocks standard?  I have noticed a wide range of options in the Haynes manual, but mine is pre barcoding. If the clearances are ok, I might use the existing bearing shells. If the clearances are top end or out of spec, I will have to replace them. I have attached a picture of the old block for interest. It bleeds coolant. I would appreciate any guidance on this topic. Thanks. 

3E7FB90C-BAC3-4FBF-BFCA-61684C1C8B38.jpeg

Andy

Evening,

well done finding a decent allo6 block. If you are doin* a block swap and planning to us all your existing components, then there are  numerous checks you should do prior to rebuild . The Haynes manual is a good guide to all those checks and measurements. My comments are as follows,

Every part you put back into your engine needs to be clean enough for you to eat your dinner from 

Use new seals, gaskets , rings and bearings 

Liner protrusion. Your old liners will fit into your 1.9block, but you will need to clean the liner seats and then check the liner protrusion carefully. Be prepared for some machine work, although you may well be lucky .

Best wishes .Hope everything goes well 

Andy

Deantracy17

Cheers Andy. Looking forward to doing it. 

Telf

There are quite afew threads on builds . Here's mine that might help

welshpug

tbh for the price of them and the fact that you have it all apart this far and are replacing gaskets and seals it would be silly not to fit new bearings.

Telf

I'm with Welsh on this! You might as well.replace them whilst it's apart

Deantracy17

Cheers guys. Took the crank out today and the decision has been made for me. All main bearings scored badly. I am going to take the block and crank to work, to measure the bearing bores and the crank journals. Not sure if I need a crank regrind yet. Will clean it up and see what I’ve got during the week.