• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
artois7

1.9 8v no oil pressure

artois7

Hi all,

Working on a 309 that was parked up in 2002. Allegedly it was parked up to do the valve stem oil seals, which the previous owner says he did but never drove it again after.

I got it running last night after various items were replaced, and only ran it for 10 seconds or so as I had no dash gauges working so no idea what the oil pressure was. The cams are covered in oil so no damage there.

With some advice, I got the various warning lights operating on the dash by cleaning the oil pressure switch contact. Cranked without the HT lead connected to try to build pressure up and got no movement on the gauge at all. I verified the gauge is working by grounding the wire.

I replaced the oil filter, cranked it and removed the new filter. It had some oil in it (not necessarily full) so the pump must be working to some extent, but cranking it without the oil filter in place did not result in oil all over the rad which is what I expected to happen.

The crank pulley was tightened up to 110nm when doing the cambelt.

Unrelated but sometimes the fuel pump sticks on too - even with the key removed. I suspect the relay is sticking.

I walked away today as I was getting annoyed with it, anyone got any pointers on where to start when I try again tomorrow? It wouldn't run when I came to it again, and now the warning lights are operating I want to run it up again to see if the light is on (will indicate if I have an issue or not). Other thoughts I've had are to chase down a mechanical gauge, and to remove the sump to see if anything is obvious. Anything else to try?

Edited by artois7

artois7

Now that it's running again, the low pressure warning light and stop light go out when the car is running, but come back on on ignition. I would have suspected once pressure is built the light would not come back on with ignition on?

Tom Fenton

So with engine not running you don’t expect the low oil pressure light to come back on when you turn the ignition on? Think about it again....