• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chip1

Fuel pump not priming, but...

Chip1

Hi all, after a whole year(!) with no problems, the other day I tried to start it, ‘88 1.9 btw, and nothing, except the starter motor that is. I’m not getting the familiar whirr when turning the key, but have also found when cranking there is a slight leak at the pump on the return line. The two may be completely unrelated however. Tach relay first.?

tia, Paul 

Ozymandis

Petrol leak first, saves all the hassle with fire engines and insurance later.

Then I would have a look at tachymetric relay, pump and wiring.

• Haha 1

Chip1

Pump was new last year, hoping the relay then, rather than a wiring ‘mare. 

Tvm

Chip1

Update. Can feel relay clicking when engine cranking so looks like the wiring. Oh joy. 

Ozymandis

Can still be relay not making good contact inside itself, try bridging with short wire tails

Tom Fenton

Have a look at the pump Earth point, which is behind the nsr light in the boot. Not uncommon for it to be in very poor condition.

• Thanks 1

Chip1

I think those earths are good when I saw them last. Which pins do I bridge ozy?

DamirGTI

Usually i just take the plastic relay cover off , and bridge coil contacts by hand .. and have someone to crank the engine for me .. or , if you're on your own , can back-probe and jump-wire via relay/connector terminals either way works :

.. something to add too , main relay coil contacts (inside relay) as they age tend to form deposits kinda like on the distributor cap terminals , by cleaning this carefully off with some fine grt. sanding paper (ideally an thin diamond file) and washing off with contact cleaner can make the relay work again .. insert the flat folded fine grt saniding paper between the two closed contacts and gently rub back and forth a few times , wash off with contact cleaner .

D

Ozymandis

What Damir says!

Read his link too

welshpug

if you are getting a leak on the return pipe when cranking I would check the pipes are on the right way round.