• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philpooma

Clutch cable replacement

Philpooma

I feel a little stupid asking this question, but I tried to replace the clutch cable on my car yesterday and I fell at the first hurdle.

The connection to the end of the pedal inside the car looks very different to the one on my replacement clutch cable.

I’m also wondering how I actually release this connection as it seems to be buried deep in the bulkhead soundproofing.

Can anyone advise please?

The image inside of the car shows what Insee when the clutch  pedal is depressed.

The other image is the end of my new cable. 

1DFC7630-41F2-4C23-BE79-16B64FB61A84.jpeg

C9C764A6-61C8-43EF-AA49-A0EE9C35C972.jpeg

Tom Fenton

You have bought the wrong cable.

Sometimes you can unhook the plastic end you can see by pulling the pedal right up towards you. Other times you need to undo the nut in the photo on the end of the clutch pedal pivot pin and move the pedal back to give space to un hook the cable off the pedal.

• Thanks 1

Ozymandis

Remove the pivot bolt and spring, and simply unhook the pedal from the white plastic connection, hook the new one on and refit the pedal, pivot bolt, and spring.

You need a later style clutch cable with the white connector piece.

Ozymandis

A good idea to tie a piece of wire/ cord to the old white bit, withdraw the old one, transfer the wire/cord to the new one then use it to pull the new one back into place, makes it a lot easier. Free the clutch end first that gives you some slack to pull into the footwell. A blob of grease on the, white bit to pedal contact area when You fit the new one. I always hang new clutch cables up pull back the clutch end rubber bellows so theres a clear path down the cable, and drop oil into them overnight they last forever then.

Edited by Ozymandis
  • Thanks 1