• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pedals

smoking or steamin ?

pedals

Evening All

Having just signed up I thought I might ask about a issue I had over the weekend on my D reg 1.6 205GTI. Got 139000 on clock

Been stationary ,under cover for several months, in process of refurbishing interior.

Started engine today after a few months ,which was instantanious, but after about 2 minutes noticed smoke from under dash/glovebox on passenger side.Turned engine off.

Didnt smell quite like burning rubber, but obviously a concern.

Started it up a couple more times and it ran for about a minute and then cut out both times.

Each time "smoke" (or maybe smelly steam ?) came from vent on outside along bottom of windscreen and also into car on passenger side as previous,

Temp gauge working but not cooked.

There is a new screeching noise coming from water pump area and I know alternator bearing is

knackered .

Can water pump seize solid ?

It has not "smoked" or cut out before.

It does have water in it.

Any ideas ?

Cheers Guys

pugdamo

I would say at a guess it's steam and its coming from your heater matrix, that would cause it to come through the vents. 

For the screeching noise, whip the auxiliary belt of and start the engine again, if the noise is gone it's on the auxiliary side if not its in the cambelt area. 

For the cutting out, I know it sounds silly but it has a good amount of fuel in the tank. 

Edited by pugdamo

pedals

Well it didnt smell like burning rubber so good news I guess.

Good idea about aux belt.

Yep loads of fuel , it doesnt just splutter to a halt ,its a instantanious cutout ! ,,electrical perhaps..

Thanks Damian.

As a side..a while ago  thought I would fill tank with petrol as knew it would be stored and unused for several months .

When filling at pump at about 3/4 full I became aware of petrol pouring out from under the car !

Not got round to that problem  yet ,,,some sort of pipe become disconnected maybe ?

Tom Fenton

From your description of where the smoke is coming from I don't think its the heater matrix, that is under the dash on the drivers side.

I'd be having a look at the heater blower fan and the resistor card for the same. Both are located under the dash on the passenger side and the smoke from an electrical fault could find its way out under the plastic scuttle cover as you are describing.

boldy205

Heater motors do make a screachy sound and smoke when bearings are dry. As Tom said, I'd look at that.

Also the fuel leak, sometimes the pump/sender gaskets fail, so I'd u brim the tank fuel can leak out then.

boldy205

'If you brim the tank'

pedals

Thanks for advice .

Tom was spot on .

The smoke was a jamming heater motor slowly getting hotter and hotter and smelly quite rancid.

Removed heater motor and engine runs fine now and does not cut out !

Also no screeching noise.

Is there a go-to place for these sort of spares ?

Been removing the factory fitted sliding sunroof:(....do people fit new aftermarket units as the plastic trim is very fragile and breaking up ?

It seems to work but wouldnt expect it keep dry.

Or perhaps there are refurb components available ?

Better with sunroof IMO.

Not got round to fuel tank yet.

Thanks

M

Tom Fenton

To be honest the factory sliding roof is very good in terms of keeping water out. The vacuum seal is a clever idea. The only common place for leaks is from around the handle fixings, which is a 10 min job to sort with a pair of fibre washers. The plastic exterior trim however is very fragile as you say.

pedals

Yes be nice to keep it with original.

Going to look at fabricating metal or ally trim to replace plastic.

Did Citroen use the same sunroof back in the day ?

Cant say i have noticed the vacume seal working, as I read it makes a hiss when opened, (engine running I assume).

Not yet found any drain or vacumn pipes either.

There is a black rubber seal under the glass and it appears to be in giood condition at first glance.

There are two screws with nuts internally at each corner of the sunroof which are proving a challenge to undo.

Guess I need to totally remove the glass somehow to get at the rear most ones as the glass is still in place,,,

welshpug

if you can open the sunroof then it is working.

pedals

Okay, so this is the first 205 I have ever worked on so excuse the odd dumb statement or question.

Having taken the sunroof completely out of the car I cannot find any pipes, and there is no vacumn reservoir under plastic grill behind the battery and no tee piece on servo hose.

However the sunroof did appear to slide open and shut okay before I removed it from car.

There is a soft black rubber tube about 8mm dia under the glass which I guess is the seal.

I guess if the vacumn deflats the seal when opening ....it would still be watertight when shut despite the lack of a vacumn  system ?

I had the car under a less than brilliant cover for the winter months and thought moisture on underside of glass roof was condensation but possibly feel now was a leaky roof (possibly at the handles as Tom mentions ) ?

Why would  someone remove the system.

Logic suggests that it should be watertight with or without the vac system 

Would it be advisable to re-install a vacumn system 

I need to have a new inner sunroof perimeter cover trim fabricated, prob from powder coated steel.

The one on my car has long since been missing so I dont even know what shape to replicate yet. 

Does anyone know of another option or have any useful tips for such a project ?

Would any  others be interested in this same item ?

Cheers fellas 

jackherer

If it can be opened without vacuum it's probably the dealer fit sunroof:

pedals

Thanks Kieran that explains a heck of a lot.

Having never seen or paid much attention to a factory one you can imagine I was getting a little confused

Cheers.

• Like 1

pedals

Thanks Kieran that explains a heck of a lot.

Having never seen or paid much attention to a factory one you can imagine I was getting a little confused

Cheers.

pedals

My D reg Ph 1 1.6gti

May I ask about my nearside rear wing / quarter panel.

Its had a thump and someone has bodged it with about 20mm thick filler, looks horrible also has  some rust around the arch.

Would rather replace this item/area  now as car is stripped out in preparation of a respray.

So...

Will any non gti 3 door 205 panel fit this  or has it got to be a gti ?......( holes for trim )

Could a 5 door panel be worked in to fit or is that a stupid idea ?

Any one got one for sensible money I can buy ?

For other biits and bobs, pleeeease,,,, where is there a reliable contact/dealer that sells general 205 spares that is worth knowing ? 

Thanks

M

pedals

Thinking about buying a donor 205 car.

Anyone need a good shell ?