• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

karabas

Ignition Amp Wiring

karabas

Hi from quite far away,

I've been working on a 92 1.9 GTI. It was running after 2 years and I decide to renew the engine wiring loom. Just renew the connectors and worn cables. I couldn't change the ignition amp socket so left it as it is. After all work she doesn't want to run again.

I found different connections on Haynes wiring diag. I'm not sure the cables order on dizzy (funny for me since this is not my native language), they were apart while taking out the cable bunch.

XU9JA engine I have.

Appreciate any help.

1577647875_IMG_9685copy.jpg.dd8dd900e4a2f8bbebf143c8e391846c.jpg

DamirGTI

Ignition leads orientation on the distributor cap :

.. and some ignition amp. wiring :

D

karabas

Thx so much, DamirGTI. I've been reading posts for 2 years and saw you in all most every topics.

I couldn't describe clearly sorry, I mixed up the 2 cables (+ -) on the body of the dizzy. I've renew the cables with red and white and soldered randomly in the loom. Do you know which one should be (+). 

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 15.13.33.png

karabas

Found this in a post dated 2007.

Now I'm done.

I appreciate DamirGTI. It is from your post..!

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 18.06.09.png

• Like 1

karabas
On 5/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, DamirGTI said:

Ignition leads orientation on the distributor cap :

.. and some ignition amp. wiring :

D

I'm totally confused and upset since can't start engine. Haynes XU9JA engine wire diagram and the pic you've posted are showing different connections. Yours is what I measured on the car. I found another difference on the car than Haynes said. I'm questioning How accurate Haynes diagrams?

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 14.34.13.png

DamirGTI

Haynes wiring diagrams for 205 are usually correct , with this one it is a little bit "mixed up" - confusing , because there's no pin-out for the module on that diagram , precisely to tell you which wire goes on which pin of the module/module connector .

That is for Jetronic car with Jetronic engine management/wiring loom ... only other different variant can be Motronic management/loom . If you have Motronic system/loom on your car then yes the above diagram wont work , for that one you need to look on the XU9JA/L diagram .

So for Jetronic by connector/module pins is :

1 Coil negative

2 Battery negative

3 Distributor shielding wire

4 Battery positive

5 Distributor input +

6 Distributor input -

7 Tacho out signal (not used)

Do you have power/+12v on the pin No4 and earth on pin No2 ?

If it wont start connected like you have now , unplug and reverse the wiring on the distributor cable on the pick up coil - switch black wire for the red one and red for black .

D

• Thanks 1

karabas

Mine is 1992 XU9JA (D6B) no cat LE Jetronic (0 280 000 359). I checked the pins of the ignition amp plug and yes I saw 12v. I'm suspicious about weak spark. Try to check it but this time starter motor need an overhaul process. Only Murphy's law is working.  :(

DamirGTI

Try with some easy start spray in the inlet , when you fix the starter .

If it starts on spray and runs for second and die , then there is spark but lacks fuel .

If it doesn't start , not even a cough , then there's spark problem (weak spark or no spark at all)

Some double/triple ground electrode spark plugs can also be blamed for non starting engine .. i've had this scenario on a 1.3 Rallye engine , brand new NGK double electrode plugs fitted and the engine simply didn't want to start , but started on the first turn of the key on old single electrode Eyquem plugs .

D

• Thanks 1

karabas

Thank you Damir. I really appreciate. Here in Turkey there are not much GTi's on road. Most of them totally trash. Only handful looking healty. I'm one of the Don Quixote insisting to keep as born specs.

I will try start spray.

I did the lamp test yesterday (connect a side repeater lamp to the coil +/- pins, injectors plugs detached) and I saw flashing light. Then attached a spark plug directly to the coil HT lead end. First 2-3 spark were sparkling then barely sparks can be seen or may be no spark. Is this mean, ignition amp ok but the coil?

DamirGTI

Same here !

I think i'm the only one in my country who still drives 205 gti daily ! .. +16 years now .. and yes , not so much of the GTi's left over here too , i know only few good examples (which are weekend toys mainly , locked in the garages) the rest are crashed/trashed/rough ones .

Could be the ignition amp , or the coil .. or both . Sometimes when amp burns out it damages the coil also , so ideally you would want to try replacing both with known good spare items .

Which brand of the amp do you have now ?

Old "Ducellier" amps where kinda bad , blue Bosch ones are the best .. they never cause problems .

If you have some spare amps and coils try and see if it makes any difference . And remember to apply heat sink paste at the back of the amp prior to refitting it on the aluminium plate , otherwise if mounted dry , it'll burn out (overheat and burn) .

Double check ignition leads orientation as per firing order on the distributor cap first , if that's good and there's spark and fuel it must start .. easy start spray can help initially to start the engine if it was left standing for long period .. also fresh fuel is must these days of ethanol content , modern fuel degrades much quicker than what it used to years ago when it was packed up with lead .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

karabas

Hooray, Karabas (Blackhead) is running again!!!

After purchasing a brand new valeo coil and brand new bosch amp, replaced both. Unfortunately didn't want to start. I switched the wires on dizzy body and happy end. I was pretty sure about your (Damir) pic which shows +/- wires on dizzy body. Hmm may be a very little hesitation since red cable marked - , black marked + which is opposite of common. But you said, switch them if it wont start. I followed your recommendation.

Thank you Damir.

But now it would be great if we could change the pic with correct one.