• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

miguel38

1.9 rear wheel bearing/hub

miguel38

Where is a good place to get either the rear wheel bearing or a complete hub/bearing unit?

The latter I can only seem to find via Spoox who don't seem to have the best reputation(?). 

Have found an SKF bearing for £60 but wondered what other options were around - Hub would make the job a bit quicker and easier!

Thanks

Mike

jackherer

You can only get the complete unit with hub, anywhere selling just a bearing has the wrong part for a 1.9. The hub is actually part of the bearing so they can't be separated.

miguel38

So for the bearing I was going by this post sticky'd and I've found somewhere with that SKF bearing (SKF 446595AB - non ABS).

If it's really the case that it will still be wrong any idea on where to get the complete hub from? 

farmer

People have said the Firstline ones were ok

I have about 3 pairs of SKF ones and Spoox took a set of me as was surplus stock at time

Philpooma

I know from previous experience that the SKF bearings are top quality.

welshpug

every firstline bearing i have seen of late were snr stamped, snr made the original bearings.

farmer

Funny as every NOS one and Motaquip one I have had, and been a few, were SKF 

SweetBadger
Batfink
On 5/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, jackherer said:

You can only get the complete unit with hub, anywhere selling just a bearing has the wrong part for a 1.9. The hub is actually part of the bearing so they can't be separated.

Crap really? I just ordered some bearings separate.

Ozymandis

"Check with the seller, but this one looks like it's supplied by Continental Direct (should be branded Contitech) "

Continental Direct are NO relation whatsoever to Continental, who use the contitech brand.

Continental Direct are poor quality rubbish of uncertain origin ,their belts are China made, Contitech were India made last ones we got.

We use Firstline wheel bearings for various vehicles and they always have a good branded bearing in them made somewhere identifiable,eg SNR, SKF , ILJIN etc

Dont get the Keyparts ones they are the rubbish similar to C/D quality

Edited by Ozymandis

SweetBadger
10 minutes ago, Ozymandis said:

"Check with the seller, but this one looks like it's supplied by Continental Direct (should be branded Contitech) "

Continental Direct are NO relation whatsoever to Continental, who use the contitech brand.

Continental Direct are poor quality rubbish of uncertain origin ,their belts are China made, Contitech were India made last ones we got.

I stand corrected!

Well I've double checked the bearings that I ordered, and they are indeed Contitech - so Continental, not Continental Direct.

So either their 205 hubs/bearings are generally ok, or I've been very lucky with the ones on my race car!  Both replaced at the same time late 2016, no play in them yet.

Edited by SweetBadger

jackherer
29 minutes ago, Batfink said:

Crap really? I just ordered some bearings separate.

Unfortunately it's true, you can't just swap the bearings. It means they're easy to fit and remove normally though.

welshpug

if you did order a bearing correctly listed then it'll be a complete unit with the flange, or a bare drum brake bearing.

wicked
On 5/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, welshpug said:

every firstline bearing i have seen of late were snr stamped, snr made the original bearings.

I ordered a set of Firstline (FBK372) and they were stamped Borg& Beck... 

Ozymandis
14 hours ago, wicked said:

I ordered a set of Firstline (FBK372) and they were stamped Borg& Beck... 

Oh dear, I would not be happy about that.

Borg + Beck is just a brand name, trading on past glories in the clutch world, owned by the same folk as Firstline.

They dont operate a bearing production facility of any sort.

All the firstline boxed bearings I ever used were decent known real manufacturers.

So this is another  distributor You may get possible crap from.

Keyparts was their cheap rubbish brand

Is there a country of origin anywhere?

wicked

No marking that I could related to the place  where they have been made. 

The provided nut was black; cannot recall that the nut of SKF's were black when I replaced them on my GTI years ago. 

Time will tell how long they last. Given that it is not a daily, they probably will last a life time ... 

Edited by wicked