• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adamstanford

What sort of power? Twin weber 40DCOE

Adamstanford

Hi all. I have a 1.6 gti, 1991 and I'm told it has a high lift cam, can't confirm right now, assume it doesn't. And twin 40 weber dcoe carbs. 

Now, it runs like a pile of poo when cold, and 1-2500k is a bit lumpy if you floor it.. Past that it takes off like a stabbed rat, and really does go. 

I've never bounced it off the Rev limiter so no idea how high it would Rev, I don't trust it not to fire a valve through the piston like I trust my good ol 4age engine. 

Any idea what sort of power it would have over the standard 115bhp?

Engine is really well serviced by yours truly and uses no oil or water. And it towed a broken down mx5 with no issues atall. 

Just curious, not about to take it on the rollers or anything. 

DSC_0317.JPG

Anthony

Too many variables to give any meaningful guestimate really - you'd be better putting it on the rollers to get a good idea of both power and how well the carbs are fuelling.

Also, assuming that you're running the standard dizzy setup with no aftermarket rev limiter fitted, then you probably don't have a rev limiter - the standard limiter is via cutting the fuel injection which obviously you no longer have.

Adamstanford
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Too many variables to give any meaningful guestimate really - you'd be better putting it on the rollers to get a good idea of both power and how well the carbs are fuelling.

Also, assuming that you're running the standard dizzy setup with no aftermarket rev limiter fitted, then you probably don't have a rev limiter - the standard limiter is via cutting the fuel injection which obviously you no longer have.

It was over fuelling quite a bit but at the last mot we had a fiddle to get it well within mot spec and it went from about 20mpg real world to 30mpg!!

Wallby

Get it on a rolling road with someone who knows their carbs. They should be able to get rid of the lumpiness low down.

Both my 205s are running carbs and getting them setup properly makes a world of difference.

DamirGTI

Needs proper carb re-jetting i'd say (and prior to that , perhaps full carb rebuild especially if they haven't been rebuild for long time) ... had an 1.3 Rallye which was kinda similar , very bad jerky throttle response on low to mid revs but very good from mid to maxi .. did the carb re-jetting and fixed it .

D

SootySport

As you are near Northampton,  Northampton Motorsport are a recommended tuners for your carbs.  Only other tuner I can recommend are AT Speed in Rayleigh, Essex.  

Some versions of Weber’s are not good for fitting on any engine that was not original fitment .  Had similar problems with mine and never cured despite visits to the experts.  Solved the problem in the end by fitting bike carbs, they are sooo much better in every way.