• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Oil pressure question

Telf

So when idlng whilst warm the oil pressure is as on the video. Fan is operating so system is up to temp. Is this normal I can't remember !

Using 10W40 oil. Oil pressure light is working as it's on when the key is in ignition prior to start

Telf

Also I've got oil collecting on top of the inlet chamber as pictured, the filter cap wasn't fully down but does the breather circulate much oil?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1556467225288.jpg_1556467230067.jpeg

jackherer

You need to measure the pressure with a proper gauge.

Telf

I can't see it being anything really . The switch isn't operating so I'm inclined to think it's the sender wiring or guage

jackherer

I'll lend you my mechanical gauge and then you'll know.

Telf

So today I had another look. Seemed to have stopped the oil leak. When cold the gauge is across at the 4th mark and as it heats up it moves over and is now sitting just above the first mark. Low px light doesn't come on, radiator fan is tripping on and off. I left the car to idle for 20 mins again and it stayed like that.

Anthony

It sounds fine and behaves similar to other 205s I've owned and seen.

As Kieran said, you need a mechanical guage if you want any kind of accuracy - the standard sender is far from the pinnacle of accuracy and has been responsible for many a worried owner. Consider the standard setup useful only for showing relative oil pressure rather than reading too much into the absolute values.

Telf

Yeah I kind of figured as much. It's been almost 2 years since it's turned a wheel and I couldnt remember what it used to do tbh. The oil loss seems to have mainly stopped since I fully engaged the filler cap.. I didn't think it would leak as it was semi engaged but not fully pushed in. Seems I was wrong!!