• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

commievid

1.9 Brake Compensators?

commievid

Hi all,

After getting advisories regarding the rear brakes being a little off balance, I went and cleaned up the rears, regreased, reassembled and then went to bleed the brakes.

Turns out the left side was being awfully slow to actually let out fluid.

I have a horrible feeling that the compensator for that side is on its way out.

The frustration is the fact that I got two new compensators probably 4-5 years ago from GSF car parts and fit them in as part of new brake lines for the entire rear brakes (used to have ABS so a different setup previously).

I've now tried looking around online and the compensators appear to have dried up, can't seem to find any anywhere?

Any help would be appreciated!

farmer

they are not easy found

Been talk of a re-manufacture in France and by Baker  

davemar

When I get round to finishing off the rebuild of my car, I'll probably need to replace my compensators. As you say, they seem to be difficult to get these days. Is there anything off any other make of car that could be used to do the job (possibly with some custom brackets or fittings)?

wicked

The 206, 306 and 405 have these kind of load dependent compensators; similar to the ones on 309gti16, but then both in 1 unit.

Maybe lock it in a fixed position iso making it rear axle load dependent?

DSC_0026.JPG

Edited by wicked

Anthony
2 hours ago, davemar said:

As you say, they seem to be difficult to get these days. Is there anything off any other make of car that could be used to do the job (possibly with some custom brackets or fittings)?

Other 80/90's cars do use in-line compensators, but the challenge will be getting some with similar ratings to the originals to keep the rear brake bias/effort correct.  Not sure of any that are a direct swap off the top of my head but shouldn't be too hard to find something that'd work if you're happy to change the brake line fittings.  Most newer stuff either uses a load-based compensator as above or increasingly is handled within the ABS unit itself.

Depends how much you want originality, but another option is to convert to a 1.6 type brake pipe configuration with a single front-rear pipe and then use either an adjustable bias valve or a single 1.9 compensator.

DamirGTI
23 hours ago, Anthony said:

Depends how much you want originality, but another option is to convert to a 1.6 type brake pipe configuration with a single front-rear pipe and then use either an adjustable bias valve or a single 1.9 compensator.

Is what i would do personally .. 1.6 system with single compensator works really good and it's much simpler , just the brake line routing needs to be arranged a little bit different to the 1.9 and the compensator placed on the chassis leg at the correct angle ..

Also , i remember that the same size/shape 1.6 Gti compensator can be found on Mk1 Ford Sierra .. took one off the Sierra on the scrapyard but haven't tried to fit it yet ! as the 1.6 OE item simply doesn't cause any issues now +15 years of use .

But first i'd try to rule out the rubber brake flexi hose .. they tend to collapse on the inside , and cause nasty wheel locking upon braking  ... had one of them years ago when i still had drum brakes and the damn thing almost got me off the road sideways in the ditch after a bit harder brake application from higher speed .

D