• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
artois7

Repairing split header tank

artois7

Hi all,

My mi16 unveiled a hairline crack in the header tank yesterday, decorating the driveway.

I thought finding a replacement would be easy but I've not found one for sale yet. I don't think plastic weld / superglue would hold up very well, has anyone had any luck repairing one?

Ozymandis

Stick a wanted ad up on here You stand a v good chance of getting another .

I`ve given up trying to repair this kind of plastic tat, it never works long term.

Are you using the squarer black type or the round white type?

Edited by Ozymandis

SRDT

All the square black ones end up cracking at the same spot, you can look for a guy that's good at welding polyethylene but it's probably not an easy job.

Telf

To be fair there's no real reason you couldn't glue it if it's a plastic one. 

Tom Fenton

I’m sure I’ve got a spare one. I’ll have a look for you.

SRDT
12 hours ago, Telf said:

To be fair there's no real reason you couldn't glue it if it's a plastic one. 

Not all plastics are easy to glue. With the black square tank I think coating the inside with slow cure epoxy is the best bet.

artois7
22 hours ago, SRDT said:

All the square black ones end up cracking at the same spot, you can look for a guy that's good at welding polyethylene but it's probably not an easy job.

At the front, under the halfway seam? It's a hairline crack.

I have a post in the wanted section. Frustrating as the actual repair would be easy but it would always be in my mind that it could fail so it's probably not worth it... Assuming I can get another.

SRDT

It's kind of a design flaw as they all end up like that but it takes many years to reach that point even with the 1.4 bar cap of a diesel.

samirabien_o_1a5a5drkj152kemp1771f204hfa

105385d1524380425-205-gti-header-tank-15

SP_A0691.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

Ozymandis

Every black square one I ever had split there, so I cobble in a round white one, I never saw one of those split they are a better design for long term reliability.

SRDT

The square shape is needed to clear the engine on LHD diesel cars with turbo or EGR, it doesn't look usefull on a RHD car.

Edited by SRDT

Ozymandis

My RHD turbo diesel had a square one but its got a round one now. I think it was because the fuel filters by the PAS pump over the gearbox, and they maybe thought it might hit the round type? It clears.