• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

Clutch arm/fork movement

Callum

I've just got a replacement box as my old shattered but I've noticed the clutch arm / fork only has a small amount of movement which a bit stiff but then the rest of the movement is very stiff is something wrong here I'm worried about fitting it and finding the clutch pedal is stiff

Ozymandis

Is this a later box with a cross shaft type release mechanism ?

If it is, have a look at the plastic bearing bushes that it pivots in, get a load of oil in them and work them back and forth to free them up, it should be very easy to move.

Dont lightly think about getting the arm off if you havent a slide hammer and an M7 female adaptor, the pin is pressed into the shaft and arm.

They can be a bastard to get off and you risk damaging the arm, shaft, bushes and even the gearbox casting where the top bush locates.

I have had to Tig 2 different boxes where they broke the casting inside the bell housing.

You can pull it up enough to clean the bottom part of the shaft with emery and to grease the bush, if You remove the release bearing.

• Like 1

Callum

Thanks for your reply I tired to remove the pin but it stripped the threads so I've cut the cross shaft and ordered all the relivant parts from peugeot 

Edited by Callum

Ozymandis

No worries Callum, first one I did I ended up drilling out and pissing about making a special bolt, tapping a thread etc

older and wiser now .

Be aware there are two completley interchangeable types, earlier ones with yellow bushes and later with white, I think 94 ish was changeover, its a common problem for people to get the bits from both mixed up and it all goes wrong a short time after they get it back driving and the release bearing goes tits up.

The geometery of the two is totally different despite looking identical.

get familiar with the difference and double check you have the right fork to match whichever bushes you use, there are aftermarket ones with a yellow bush and a white bush, avoid them.