• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

opticaltrigger

Hi Craig,

This all sounds like absolute mental damage to me and I sympathise with you....Horrible, I'm feeling your pain from Somerset........

Kieran, knows my thoughts on this old Jetronic stuff...  

There's a few of us here that are keen to bring these engines up to date...

These days the cost of a modern simple EFI solution can,,,, be allot less than the total cost of getting this old stuff to run properly with clunky old parts that you absolutely will be looking at again sometime soon.

Precisely what you are having right now. Tach relays, bad reluctors, AFM's, distributors, SAD's, etc,etc,etc,  Ohhh,,, even thinking about it just hurts.....

I've done it myself Craig. The shotgun approach of spraying the entire engine with new fuel and ignition parts and then feeling like you need to go in and have a little cry, "Terrible"......

All said, it sounds to me like you have exhausted almost every route. For sure there will be a definitive cause to your issues and you probably will get in front of it eventually, but it wont last long and eventually you will be doing all this again.

Seriously consider a modern EFI solution. It will fix all this for you forever, you'll get better everything with it, from economy to power and cold starting. You also get a data logger in to boot.

It's seriously no more of an issue to do than you have already and all the stuff you need is available off the shelf.

This is just one of a few very good and very cheap solutions, and your car already has most of the stuff you need already fitted. https://diy-efi.co.uk/product/speeduino_ua4c_ecu

I've just ordered another one myself...

Some of the purists out there disagree with me a little on this and I do see there point ( a bit ), but you do have to drive this car of yours and it sounds like you would like to keep it, so why not just make it all better for yourself forever..........

There's a few of us on here that see it that way to and are quite practised at it, so you wont be short on help at all with a DIY install.....

I would be interested in doing it for you if you like. There's probably a way we could sort that out despite the distances.......

Anyway, all the very best Craig,

O.T.

Rutia

Ok guys another update, Some decent news being i managed to get the car started and running, the only change being made was a direct feed from the (Coil -) terminal directly to the tachy relay terminal on pin (15) it ran but sat at Very high revs, the RPM situation might of been other changes causing the rev range issue as the TPS,AFM,Dizy have all been changed or altered in some way so that isn't much of a concern at the moment.

However i'm just wondering is there supposed to be a direct feed from these two terminals to each other? or is there anything else in the loom that's supposed to connect between the two?

jackherer

I haven't had an 8V engine for many years so my memory is vague but I think it's the green shielded wire.