• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mmt

Heater noise

mmt

Hi guys,

My heater makes a terrible noice when turned on. Almost sounds like a 2nd WW sirene. 

Is it possible to Oil or Grease it to become a silent sirene?

Thanks. 

jackherer

Ozymandis

Yes, I did this on Saturday and my girlfriend is now very happy her 205 no longer shreiks and squeals.

The fan/motor is easy to remove, 3 x No2 pz self tapping screws and a 12v plug.

To get the fan off, stand it in a big bench vice resting the fan on the jaws with the motor downwards, then hit the motor shaft downwards with a hammer until it is flush with the end of the fan, with a centre punch  and drift drive the motor off and down through the fan.

Now the motor is easy to dismantle 2 x No2 pz screws.

Theres usually leaves, seeds and feathers in them. Clean everything.

It has plain bronze bushes and these need a soak in engine oil, wd40 etc wont do it will start squealing again.

I grip the motor upside down in a vice , flood the bearings with oil then connect a battery charger to the motor,  and leave it running an hour or so in reverse, this really gets some oil in it and its as quiet as new. Check your carbon brushes are free to slide in there holders and the copper commutator bars are fairly clean

To reassemble , grease the shaft and drive the fan back on with a tube or small deep socket,just as far as possible until its not quite touching ,if you go too far, no worries just tap the motor shaft back again. The grease ends up driven right into the bronze bush area and helps to protect it long term.

Dont bother trying to remove the rusty metal spring clip, it is driven on and off easily wth the fan blade if you do like I say.

mmt

Good stuff. Thanks guys. 

mmt

All sorted. No more noise. Sweeet.