• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ojm25weobley

Looking at a 1.6GTi

Ojm25weobley

Hi all,

I am a keen enthusiast of the 205 GTi and the opportunity has come up to buy one off a friend for a project. 

The car is red and has a sunroof, original interior and no modifications that I’m aware of. 

The car needs work. 

I am looking at keeping the 1.6 in there and keeping the interior. 

What modifications would you all recommend. I don’t mind spending a bit but don’t want to swap an engine. Happy for cams, throttle bodies, or any suggestions.

please advise :)

jackherer

You can spend a lot of money modifying an 8v engine and you wont get much power in return. Unless you turbo it...

E.g.

Ojm25weobley
4 hours ago, jackherer said:

You can spend a lot of money modifying an 8v engine and you wont get much power in return. Unless you turbo it...

E.g.

Many thanks for the reply. I’m not looking to turbo or anything quite like that. Little increases suit me to the ground.

Mainly want it to sound the part and pull the best it can. I like the sound of the rough idle from cams and that sort of thing. Any ideas mate? 

jackherer

Individual throttle bodies sound amazing, fit some of them and a lairy cam and it will sound great. just don't expect more than 10-15% extra power and be prepared for that little bit of power to cost a lot of money.

Telf

keep it original.. that's what I say!

Telf

well apart from the engine management maybe... :D

Ojm25weobley
Just now, Telf said:

well apart from the engine management maybe... :D

Hahahaha good shout :) 

Telf

ive swapped mine to emerald- expensive but I think worth it

Ojm25weobley
Just now, Telf said:

ive swapped mine to emerald- expensive but I think worth it

Is this the ECU? Have you left internals standard then? 

Telf

yep- and no- it has no dizzy,tacho relay,AFM or ignition amp - all removed. the emerald ECU manages it all via a few sensors

Telf

and you need to replace the engine loom as well

SRDT

There was a 125hp kit for the 1.6 105:

kitpts4.jpg

The head looks like a BX Sport one so a 115/130 head should be as good, if your 205 is a 115 you need the camshaft and spark plugs with a bit of work on the head.

It's not the best but it has this period correct feeling.

Ojm25weobley
5 hours ago, Telf said:

so did you buy one Oli?

In the process yes :) still unsure what to do. Going to get it running standard and then go from there I think

camgti

To be honest the first things I wohld do to an1.6 is

Fit power steer from a 1.9 or xsara. Someone who knows what they are doing will have no trouble doing this properly.

Get decent pads or fit 1.9 calipers and discs. 

Fit a quaife diff if a road car. 1 for i surance on the box and 2 youll enjoy it more! 

A 1.6 with more conpression, cam and some throttle bodies would be a nice engine with the above mods. Mind you it will cost 3-4 thousand pounds to do all this properly. (The above included)

The other fists wohld be to rebuild the rear beam and refresh all the suspension bushes if they are old or worn. 205s really are terrible to drive if they are not right. 

You dont need more that 150hp in a road 205 to go fast. They are not traffic light drag cars by any means. Get them in the turns and they will really suprise you.