• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
idoari

set timing and igniton from scratch

idoari

Hi,

i have a little problem... i can't start my engine. 

i did a lot of things on the engine bay. new loom  , rebuild dizzy , rebuilt starter and alternator.

the problem started when i changed the cam backplate (the one that sits behind the cam pulley) , i remove the timing belt and used the upper timing pin (the onle what goes through the pulley) to stop the pulley from turning when loosing the pulley bolt. the pin wasn't all the way in and the pulley moved. i replace the backplate and move the pulley back to the pin position, put the timing belt back and rottate the engine by hand the see it the timing holes line up and they did. do i need to make sure anything else?

i also replace the dizzy and didn't mark the old one so i tried to line up the timing holes and i saw that the dizzy is pointing not at cylinder one tried.

how can i set the engine timing and ignition correctly so the engine starts. the battery is charged , the engine cracking like it should and the fuel pump is working. 

BTW , i saw that when i align the timing holes the piston is NOT at TDC -  it's before TDC i thing about 20-30 deg before - is it correct ? 

thanks

Ido

p.s. i've checked and the wiring is correct..

Thijs_Rallye

If the holes on the crank pulley and cam pulley line up as you say the timing is correct. Piston is halfway in the bore when locked ;).

Cilinders are counted the other way as "normal" cars, that means cilinder one is at the flywheel side.

As for the rest, put the dizzy somewhere halfway, tighthen the bolt so that you can still rotate the dizzy. Then have someone crank the engine and then keep adjusting the dizzy until it fires. Finetune when it is running with a timing light. (engine hot, no running fan or other electrical users, keep the engine rev's at the specified range, disconnect the vacuum hose (and plug it!) and set the timing.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

What engine management do you have Jetronic or Motronic ?

If everything else is fine , my guess is that you've maybe mixed up the ignition leads order on the distributor cap ?

D

idoari

everything is stock. i have Jetronic management with 1.6 (1990) engine with the old tentioner and 113 tooth belt .

I've tried to play with the dizzy all the way but the engine is not responding to it.

tried it with the Vacuum connected to i'll try to disconnect it.

since the camshaft has the slot for the dizzy, can it go in only one way or 2 ways 180 deg from another? i tried but it seems to goes in only one way.

when the timing holes line up the no 1 piston (the closest to the gearbox) is on the middle of its compression stroke (i've used a stick through the spark plug hole) is it correct?

i know from the haynes book that in order to set the timing the rotor arm should face no 1 HT Lead but when in the rotation postion should it be :

when no 1 piston is TDC  ? when the timing holes align? 

Ido

DamirGTI

Yes there's an groove on the distributor body , which needs to be in line with the rotor arm when the piston 1 is @ TDC .

Just check/verify that you have ign. leads on the distributor cap connected like this :

Also , what's been done to the distributor by means of "rebuild" ?

D

Edited by DamirGTI

idoari

new Vaccuum new rottor arm and cap all genuine bosch parts also clean and lubed the weight inside.

DamirGTI

Ok.

Do you have spark and fuel while cranking ?

Check the distributor signal cable also , again lots of pics and "how to" here :

D

idoari

all the wires are OK include this one. used genuine pins on all of the connectors.

the coil is genuine Peugeot and it's brand new as well, also the ignition module is also genuine bosch and new (the one with the blue plastic ) 

i didn't try to listen for the fuel injector firing or not, but the fuel pump is working - i can hear it and feel the flow on the fuel rail hose and on the return line. spark i didn't tried to check but the engine was firing yesterday but it was very rough - shaking like crazy and cutting out - so i tried to check the HT leads location and i switch some location up - now it just cranking and backfiring.

p.s. the dizzy it new to the car - it's the bosch 086 the one that i had before was ducellier distributor.  

Edited by idoari

idoari

UPDATE... It worked!!

turn out this was a little moister on the coil connector at the dizzy side and also the wire was mixed out.

i used the mark on the dizzy for number 1 piston TDC like you said - worked a treat!!

thanks Damir