• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Changing the fuel pump

Telf

So I decided to change my fuel pump today. I thought this will be a 5 minute job. How wrong I was!

In  an attempt to keep the original system I got a Bosch pump off Kieran and took the old one out. Then I sat scratching my head for an hour working out how to remove the pump from the surround and the filter...

Anyway after much pain and help from Kieran here's a picture of it dismantled for anybody who may attempt it.

I just couldn't work out how to dismantle it but essentially

1. Gently removed the bottom outer filter . It pulls off

2. Push the 4 rubber lugs in ( I used a screwdriver and pushed them under the bottom lip of the outer case)

3. Disconnect the top feed pipe clip and the electrical connectors.

4.carefully pull the pump out from the bottom.

5. Remove the pump from the rubber sleeve.

And as Haynes says refitment is the opposite process.

I read a few bits of advice saying it was impossible to remove and you will destroy the housing. If careful it all comes to bits without breaking.

Hope that helps someone

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553276656072.jpg_1553276664319.jpeg

• Like 1

Kosmo

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.311e57779f20dfc1bc8d9d2b0c0741f7.JPG

Kosmo

Replaced mine the other day, but the new unit's inlet & outlet pipes were opposite to the original, so I had to swap the hoses around...

jackherer

Why would they do that? There is so much potential confusion there, I've never seen that before.

Your pump is a later phase 2 (post 1990) setup which is different to Paul's in some ways.

DamirGTI

While browsing the web , found some bargain phase 2 pumps but all i have are Ph1 and Ph1/5 pump/tank combinations on my 205's : in which way are Ph2 pumps different (except for the housing looks and pump type of course !) and can the Ph2 pump possibly be made to fit inside Ph1 tank ?

D

jackherer

I have never compared them side by side so I don't  know if they are interchangeable.

The electrical connector is a junior power timer but obviously that's trivial to deal with.

DamirGTI

Seems like they're not "directly" interchangeable but i struggle to find real reason why (tried searching !) aside from the connector which , as you said , can be easily rectified .

At least if the top side with the bolt pattern fits Ph1/1.5 tanks , and something down needs cutting off that Ph2 pump housing me thinks it's much easier for fitting newer turbine type pumps (aka walbro 225 and similar ..) . I wonder if the actual Ph2 tank is somehow different , thus having different pump type .

D

Tom Fenton

The bolt flange is the same between both types.

Telf

I've seen a few after market pumps but I went original old stock in the end. I dont know if that was a good idea. I read some threads suggesting the higher pressure/flow rate of modern pumps would improve performance.. not sure how that is possible being as the return valve on the injector bar opens at 3.5 bar. 

jackherer

A newer pump definitely can't improve performance, as you say the regulator is returning fuel so the pump always flows more than enough unless it is old and failing. It's a standard pump in my car and it is still returning fuel to the tank while making the best part of 200BHP.

You should have a 3.0 bar reg BTW. Not that it matters as you are getting it remapped anyway.

Do you still have your old fuel supply hose? The one from the top of the filter to the fuel rail.

DamirGTI

Old style Bosch "roller-cell" fuel pumps are really quality made .. sadly when left in stale fuel they always jam and there's nothing that can be done to free them up ..

I've lost 4 of them just because of that (despite filing up the tank with addition of fuel stabilizer) , opening the pump and inspecting the internals reveals plenty of meat left on the brushes and commutator , it's just the roller-cell part which is the problem and easy to free off the fuel varnish once dismantled . But after cleaning the problem then is sealing the pump back as it has some special square cut O-ring's on top and the bottom of the outer shell .

Newer turbine type fuel pumps are said to be less sensitive to stale fuel , also i doubt that the new Bosch "roller-cell" pumps are as good as the old ones (probably made in china now) and the price is a bit high .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

SRDT
On 3/23/2019 at 11:28 AM, Kosmo said:

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.311e57779f20dfc1bc8d9d2b0c0741f7.JPG

I think the new part is the same as the one I pulled from my old Citroën AX with TU9M engine.

DamirGTI

Yes ! AX also has the same pump housing , but with "weaker" pump inside i guess .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Telf
5 hours ago, jackherer said:

Do you still have your old fuel supply hose? The one from the top of the filter to the fuel rail.

Yes mate why?

jackherer

We can use it to hook up my fuel pressure gauge if you're prepared to cut into it. I didn't think you'd want to cut your brand new BBM one :lol:

Tom Fenton

There’s a better way to do this, drill and tap into a spare banjo bolt for the top of the filter.

Telf
13 hours ago, jackherer said:

Do we need to check it? 

jackherer

I think it's wise to check it prior to mapping to confirm the pump and regulator are working properly..

It's possible Emerald will check it when you get there, I took mine with a gauge attached so it was there for them to see so I don't know if they use their own as a matter of course or not.

I'll see if I can find a spare banjo bolt as that's a neater way of doing it.

lahondal

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but searching for a fuelpump for my 205 i found MAPCO list their 22318 pump as suitable

for the 1.9gti, 1.6gti, AND berlingo 1.1, ax gti and zx 1.4i/1.6i.

Can anyone confirm this compatibility?

Gti pumps are becoming like hens teeth here.

Thanks!!!

farmer

Go onto Autodoc they have Bosch still

Collins

Hi have an issue with starting when hot. Was wondering if fuel pumps have a non return valve that could fail. Car starts if you turn it on and off but laeve it for 5 mins and it struggles

jackherer

Yes there is a non return valve, mine failed and I had to fit a new pump. Get a fuel pressure meter to see if it drops off when you turn the engine off.

BrianC

Didn't want to be creating a new thread when the issue is mentioned here, what's the easiest way to replace the connector to fit a phase 2 pump into an early tank? Any one know the exact connector type name so I can buy a terminated one online and replace the existing one on my 1988.

Cheers

welshpug

as mentioned earlier in the thread, its a power timer connector, or junior power timer.  made by AMP  and tyco, make sure you get appropriate pins for the wire size.

the housing colour denotes the location of the second keyway of the plug