• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stumpyjag

Timing end oil leak.

stumpyjag

Hi all

Recently done a head rebuild with all new seals but having not used her over winter I never noticed I seem to have quite a bad oil leak at the timing end.

I’ve had a quick look and the cam shaft seal is still in place and I used sealent under the cam bearing cap. 

Search on here seems to be pointing towards bad aftermarket cam shaft seal but it’s not popping out. 

Any other suggestions before I strip it all down again. 

Thanks in advance. 

dcc

If seal isn't in far enough, or too far, it will leak :)

stumpyjag

Thanks for the info. Might be my problem as I didnt think you could push the cam seal in to far and I may have just pushed it on until it was at the bottom of the recess. What depth should I be putting it to. Many thanks again. 

Ozymandis

Do it flush with the outer surface, take the cam bearing cap off and You can clearly see how far to push it in to the seal land.

dcc

I seem to recall its shoulder should sit flush, or maybe with a 1mm protrusion, check the Haynes manual. But I'd certainly go for a known quality brand. My cam seal fell out on the way to pugfest once, it wasn't cheap but I'd not heard of the brand. Ended up replacing the timing belt as well due to being oil soaked.

stumpyjag

Thanks for the advice. I stripped it all down again today and I seem to have the same situation as in this thread. It looks as if I have been able to put the seal deeper because the seal is over 1mm thinner than a oe peugeot one. I have ordered a new on from Peugeot so fingers crossed. 

stumpyjag

So it looks like the answer is don’t use aftermarket cam seals only o/e Peugeot. 

Thijs_Rallye

Payen has always been on my to avoid list (gaskets and seals). For oil seals Elring is the way to go imho. Peugeot certainly doesn't fabricate the seals themselves.

Tom Fenton

I’ve been using Payen gaskets for 30 years and never had an issue. 

• Like 1

Ozymandis

I disagree on some advice given here, and use aftermarket oil seals all the time and always have done, if you dont fit them correctly then I presume they leak, if you dont fit OE correctly then  I presume they also leak.

The OE clutch end crank seal has got weedier and weedier over the years and I use a bearing factor seal the same as the original type from the 80`s rather than the crappy OE ones and they are easier to fit, so dont assume OE is best .

if Your new cam seals leaking then it`s probably not fitted correctly or the oil seal land on the shaft is damaged.

I have been using Payen gaskets since the 1980`s and they are absolutely fine and on my definite choice of excellent brands list, Goetze are the same gaskets rebranded for continental Europe.

stumpyjag

The first cam seal that leaked was definitely fitted correctly and my cam shaft land can’t be damaged as it doesn’t leak now with the Peugeot seal. 

All I know as per the previous thread by Henry Yorke is that the aftermarket seal was a completely different design and more importantly different size to the o/e Peugeot one and now it doesn’t leak. 

Thijs_Rallye
On 3/22/2019 at 10:25 PM, Tom Fenton said:

I’ve been using Payen gaskets for 30 years and never had an issue.  

Each to it's own I guess :).