• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adamstanford

Tight spots in steering

Adamstanford

This is an intermittent problem on my car, sometimes when driving along the steering goes extra heavy and does not want to self cancel? 80% of the time it's fine. 

Anyone experienced this? Cars a gti non power steering

Tom Fenton

I’d look at the strut top bearings first off. Although years ago one of my GTI’s has horrendously heavy steering, which turned out to be the tyres, despite being at the correct pressure.

Adamstanford
4 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

I’d look at the strut top bearings first off. Although years ago one of my GTI’s has horrendously heavy steering, which turned out to be the tyres, despite being at the correct pressure.

Cheers. Any way of checking these? There is no knocking /dodgey noises. Just the intermittent steering issue. 

MrAndy

Other reason for tight spots in steering can be the joint bearings on the steering wheel shaft. I faced once a situation caused by that.

-A-

Anthony

As above, I'd start by checking the top mount bearings and the steering column joints (usually it's the lower UJ near the steering rack in my experience as that's the one that's exposed).

Easiest way to get an idea which of the above is causing the problem is to jack the car up so that both front wheels are off the ground - if the steering is then easy with no tight spots, it's probably the top mount bearings, whereas if there's still points where it tightens up then it's probably the steering column.

• Thanks 1

2-Pugs

I had exactly the symptoms you describe on a previous GTI I owned many years ago.  As per what others have said in my case it was the lower universal joint on the steering column which had seized along one of the yokes.  I took it off and soaked it in a cup of WD-40 for a day or two which freed up completely and resolved the problem.

Telf

I've experienced exactly the same as 2 pugs. I soaked the Universal joint in penetrating oil ( wrapped a rag round it and totally soaked the joint and the rag) left it for a couple of days and the issue went away. That was on my 1.4 . Did about 6000 miles without reoccurrance of the fault before I sold it