• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Adamstanford

What brakes do I have?

Adamstanford

Trying to order some new brakes and cylinders for the rear. And they're listing different options.. 

Can anyone help me without me having to take the wheels off etc. As I'd like them here by Friday and don't have time before. 

The car is a 1991, 1.6 gti. 

I need to know what pads on the front, and what shoes/cylinders for the rear. Thank you

welshpug

a 1.6 'should' have lucas/girling rear brakes.

40x180mm brake shoes, there weren't any variances to a 1.6 gti throughout production that I am aware of.

check the shape of the cylinder where it is mounted to the backplate, and the location of the bleed nipple, compare this to what is offered.

the cylinders are not handed, there is an external inline pressure limiter unlike base model cars

SRDT

Yes you should have lucas/girling 180x40mm drums and Ø19mm cylinders without integral compensator.

If you find 180x40 Bendix brakes they are probably from a 309 but I don't know where you can find a Ø19mm Bendix cylinder without integral compensator.

Adamstanford

Okay thank you! Any idea which front pads? 

farmer

I have some OEM rear brake cylinders left over from jobs

Adamstanford
8 minutes ago, farmer said:

8 minutes ago, farmer said:

This may be handy if they're the same as what I have. I'll check the car when I can. Thank you!