• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Porter87

205 gti as a daily driver 2019

Porter87

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted on here (old email and user name now long forgotten) but I've been getting a huge itch to return to the 205 owners club.

I sold my  205 mi16 on carbs about 8 years ago now H935 FFW if anyone knows of it? Since then I've owned a seat Leon Cupra r, Focus RS mk1 and Astra 888 which is currently up for sale.

My question to you guys is what do you think to running a 205 Monday to Friday for a 18 mile round trip to work and back on backroads. We own a VW Tiguan for the family car so the 205 will mostly be sat on the drive at the weekends and used solely for my trip to work and back. I've done a search on the topic but most result that come back are 4 years plus old and I wanted an up to date opinion.

I've attached a couple of picture of my old 205, I really regret selling it!  

Thanks

Steven

28032010076.JPG

02082010149.JPG

jackherer

It depends what you're prepared to put up with. I basically daily my 200bhp Mi16 with cage and harnesses but I do very little mileage and it would probably annoy most people quite quickly. It's not very economical to run either, fuel consumption is fine but I spend a lot on keeping it running as it should. It's also due for a lot of bodywork now which is going to be expensive.

H935 FFW was last MOT'd in 2014 which is not a good sign but that sort of car could easily still be in use as a track car or just locked away somewhere waiting to be resurrected.

Telf

I ran my 1.9 as a daily for 7 years until it went on its extended restoration. I was doing about 250 miles a week and had no real issues. Probably 9000miles a year. In terms of reliability it was ok. Had the odd problem every now and again. I think I was spending maybe £40 a week in fuel.

Serviced it every 6000 miles and tried to fix any minor issue before it became major.

Parts are ok to come by so there's no reason not to run it. As Kieran says it depends on what you can put up with. It's no modern car as you are undoubtedly aware. I'm driving a 207 GTi at the mo as a daily and that's positively plush,quiet and comfortable compared to my 1.9. However my 205 will shortly be back on the road ...I don't think I'll look at the 207 until the winter when I might use it to save the 205.

I think the constant use took its toll on the bodywork etc but I was never bored driving  it.

Edited by Telf

tartanbloke

Jump on a bike and cycle the 18 mile round trip to work, then enjoy the 205 for weekends and evenings.

Porter87

The Astra is a pretty harsh ride to be honest so I'm not so worried about that. I'm more worried that I'll fall out of love with a 205 once owning one for say 6 months and regret selling the 888. I also worry that ill wreck the body work with using it as a daily (rust wise)

I do ride to work in the summer months probably 3 days a week (sunny weather rider), but the roads to work and back will be great for the 205, country b roads with the odd 30 road in there.

I'm keeping my eye on a couple on Ebay at the moment. ive added a pic of the 888 below just to show you what im currently driving.

DSC_6023.JPG

DamirGTI

Im over 15 years of daily driving 205 now .. and as far as it seems it'll be continued further .

As said , consumable spare parts are still available , if you don't mind some spannering from time to time keeping the car well serviced you should be fine .. pretty easy car to work on and there's not much to go wrong either (if you don't start with some pile of ..you know !) .. obviously it term of comfort , road noise etc. not much point comparing it with modern stuff out there , it is after all an "analogue car" so you'll ether like it or not as daily transport .

Try and see what happens !

Rob_the_Sparky

It will initially be a shock to the system after driving modern machinery (I know as I have just put my 205 into daily use after a 7 or 8 year break).  Got used to it now though and the TVR feels positively civilised after the 205.  My comparison is with a BMW E61 diesel so possibly more extreme than you though.

Callum

I've used mine daily since May and its fine as long as you don't get water ingress! 

Adamstanford

Mine is also a daily driver and other than the unbearable noise from the twin carbs it's absolutely fine 

boldy205
On 3/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, Adamstanford said:

Mine is also a daily driver and other than the unbearable noise from the twin carbs it's absolutely fine 

Unbearable?! It's a fantastic noise!! I miss mine!!

Porter87

I’ve managed to club together some funds so I can keep the Astra and have the 205 as a second car. Going to look at a red 91 1.6 Sunday. I was hoping for a 1.9 but some are daft money, is there any one who would like to sell me there straight 1.9? Haha 

my old 205 was mi16 on 45 Webber carbs, I miss it so much (small tear rubs down cheek haha) 

Edited by Porter87

Telf

I personally wouldn't get overly hung up on the 1.6 or 1.9 thing. Real world I doubt there's much difference between most now. Before I rebuilt my 1.9 my mates CTI could outrun it. Why? Because he drives like a nutter and had a lumpy cam, heavily skimmed head so greater CR and his lump had done 1500000 less miles.

What I'm getting at is most are modded, worn and messed with so the badge might not mean alot. Yes the trim and brake setup are different but does it matter really?

Just my thoughts . Good luck with your search

Porter87

Cheers for the comments 

I’ve found a couple that going to look at

first one is a red 1.6 standard other than 1.9 rear beam, 1.9 seats and looks pretty mint condition and has had a overhaul at some point

second is steel grey gti6. 188bhp, 1.9 rear beam and interior but has some major lacquer Peel problems and needs a respray.  

Difference is is the red one is approximately £600 cheat than the grey

What’s Your thoughts

Telf

I'd say it's down to personnel preference. Depends if you want an 8v or not . Also I'd say the overall condition of the car would heavily influence any purchase

barneys66

11 hours ago, Porter87 said:

second is steel grey gti6. 188bhp, 1.9 rear beam and interior but has some major lacquer Peel problems and needs a respray.  

What’s Your thoughts

Rub it down and run it ratty - matte black C5 steelies, etc  B)

Has the swap been declared on the V5 though..?

Porter87

Well I went to see the steel grey one and it was a lot worst than the pictures, pretty much needed a full strip down rust repair and respray, also the dash was a total wreck and the interior needed replacing. The gti6 engine pulled well though. I forgot just how good these handle. 

It it was good to drive another 205 again! Loved it. 

V5 still saying1.6. 

Im now thinking along the lines of keeping the 8v but going with a twin carb/ throttle body set up for that induction noise. 

Adamstanford

I'd just be looking for any 205 that has had some love. Don't really care about the spec, I bought one knowing it needed a gearbox, otherwise appeared mint. 

Since then I've.. 

Overhauled all the electrics, from speakers to dash to dodgy lights and f***ed temp gauges. 

Cambelt, water pump, new suspension

New brakes. Front and rear, and piped

New radiator

New expansion tank (had a leak) 

New temp switch 

New hoses for coolant

Fixed a leaky sunroof

New indicators

New boot lock

Drop links

Insulated it, in the boot and under the carpet. 

New steering rack UJ

New speakers front and rear

Lowered the drivers seat and removed the tilt mechanism. 

New exhaust and manifold

All this on a car that APPEARED mint. 

Fundamentally it was very good, just needed that extra bit of love to put it into daily driver spec

Since then I've done about 10k and drove it to Belgium etc. It's been a very good car, reliable little steed. 

When the 1.6 gives up which it may not yet for years, no smoke, good oil pressure, runs great.. I may upgrade to a 2.0 16v.. 

And in all honesty compared to my aw11 working on this is a bit of a joy, it's really easy and nicely put together, and you're not met with catastrophic rot every nut you try to undo. 

Adamstanford
On 5/24/2019 at 6:44 AM, Porter87 said:

Well I went to see the steel grey one and it was a lot worst than the pictures, pretty much needed a full strip down rust repair and respray, also the dash was a total wreck and the interior needed replacing. The gti6 engine pulled well though. I forgot just how good these handle. 

It it was good to drive another 205 again! Loved it. 

V5 still saying1.6. 

Im now thinking along the lines of keeping the 8v but going with a twin carb/ throttle body set up for that induction noise. 

If you get one and want twin weber 40s I'd maybe be able to do a very good deal for you. 

Porter87

I’ve just bought a 1.6 gti, like you mentioned above, it appeared nice but when I got it home I noticed a few things and more bits on the body and I swear I checked it over closely. might be interested In the twin 40 set up. What are you looking for them? Thanks 

Edited by Porter87

Adamstanford
On 6/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, Porter87 said:

I’ve just bought a 1.6 gti, like you mentioned above, it appeared nice but when I got it home I noticed a few things and more bits on the body and I swear I checked it over closely. might be interested In the twin 40 set up. What are you looking for them? Thanks 

I'd probably be looking for a little bit of cash + your original fuel injection setup, fitted to mine. Obviously the webers and all ancilliaries would be coming to you, and can be heard running any time as it's my daily driver haha! 

Adamstanford
Just now, Adamstanford said:

I'd probably be looking for a little bit of cash + your original fuel injection setup, fitted to mine. Obviously the webers and all ancilliaries would be coming to you, and can be heard running any time as it's my daily driver haha! 

What niggles have you found so far? Mine was all silly stuff I overlooked like the horn not working, or the lights. (bought it in the daytime) temp gauge didn't work and I drove it from Dorset to corby!!! No way of checking Coolant level on the fly as I had one of those silly black expansion tanks.. Lots of little pains like that but what I will say again is generally speaking, it's been quite a nice car to work on. Access is good for most things.