• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

repair section above rear window?

steve@cornwall

does anyone make a repair section for this? Although my roof panel is mainly sound, the boxy section under the seam has practically disintegrated. It looks to me as if this is an infill panel for 3 door shells? 

20190223_144926.jpg

DamirGTI

Don't think so , your best bet would be to cut that part from another shell found @ the scrapyard if any 205's can be found there ..

This also seem to be more common rust area on 205's as the years go by , though i haven't seen them rot as much as yours id be a bit concerned what's from the inside if the rust did spread on the roof skin or not .

Alternatively , someone who knows working with sheet metal should be able to fix it too .

D

Tom Fenton

That area is prone to corroding from the inside out. I think it got missed when the cars were painted originally and so corrodes inside. It’s not a complex shape so you can cut it out and fold a repair piece up easily enough. The problem is getting in to weld it as the roof skin is in the way! I repaired that area on one of my cars BUT the roof skin was removed which made it more straightforward.

jackherer

In 2012 I went to a place that breaks 205s and cut that part open on 6 or 7 cars but they were all too rusty to use as a repair section so we had to fabricate a new piece. Seven years later and I'd be very surprised if you find a donor that isn't rotting on the inside at least.

My 205 needs the same part fixing now and it was fully resprayed in 2008 or thereabouts but the inside of the box section wasn't painted then either so it's still gone bad.

Philpooma

Steve@cornwall, a friend of mine is about to scrap a shell that has been in pretty good condition so far.

He may be willing to let the roof be cut off the car, but the issue is that you are not very local. I could cut it off, but then its not the easiest thing to ship without it being damaged.

steve@cornwall

Thanks for the reply guys. Its as bad as it is (the only rust visible anywhere on the car) probably because i ground out rust and fibreglassed it about 12 years  ago. I then ignored it when it bubbled and split, letting in water. Finally it has spent the last ten months covered in duct tape to hide holes from mot man!

I think I'll file this under "future projects" and hope someone fabs. a panel in future! Just need to hide holes within 30cm of seat belt mount. 

It's progressing today, painted just to keep wet out and needing more creative fettling. (all right,   bodging!)

20190224_172407.jpg

dcc

I have to make these sections for my shell at some point, going to go scrap yard and cut a shell up to make a donor shape. It looks simple enough to do, maybe stew baker could make a jig for his press to make the panels