• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Thijs_Rallye

Threads DKZ heat exchanger plate

Thijs_Rallye

Hi,

Has anyone ever measured the threads of the plate where the oil hoses go on a DKZ heat exchanger? I am looking for some dash 10 adapters but I can't figure out the exact type of threads. (my thread gauge doesn't seem to have the correct one, although 18G 5/16" seems close but has the wrong thread angle.) 

Thijs

edit: Ideally I am looking for a dash 10 adapter which I can tighten from the inside sort of similar to the picture below. The spacing on the exchanger is so tight that I cannot properly tighten the adapters because the hex'es foul eachother.

lg_b9cef160-7d65-4f31-8c3c-30ae4efe49b6.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

welshpug

16x1.5 rings a bell but I could not be certain without measuring.

Roeland_Vester

Is this about the oil-to-water heatexchanger, or the oil-to-air hx?

To my understanding, the oil-to-air was fitted to all 1.9 gtis (don't know about the 1.6) except the aircon cars, which got the oil-to-water.

Tom Fenton
5 minutes ago, Roeland_Vester said:

Is this about the oil-to-water heatexchanger, or the oil-to-air hx?

To my understanding, the oil-to-air was fitted to all 1.9 gtis (don't know about the 1.6) except the aircon cars, which got the oil-to-water.

Later 1.9's after about mid 1991 got the oil/water type exchanger, mounted remotely on the front of the gearbox along with the oil filter.

Roeland_Vester
12 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Later 1.9's after about mid 1991 got the oil/water type exchanger, mounted remotely on the front of the gearbox along with the oil filter.

Ah, so nothing to do with aircon then. Surprising to hear, I have a 1992 car with the older style oil/air hx (not mounted since it's winter), although I have a spare motor with the oil/water hx.

petert

This one? All A/C cars had them, ie every GTi in Australia. I cut the hose off and silver solder on a #10 fitting. Most hoses have failed by now. It’s M22x1.5.

A768CCA0-0E8A-400D-979F-0A93079B520D.jpeg

B10E19AF-CD5E-4499-BEA4-8325098143E9.jpeg

Edited by petert
  • Thanks 1

Thijs_Rallye

I believe the DKZ's are all equipped with the remotely mounted heat exchanger.

Thanks Peter, that was what I was looking for :). 

SRDT

Afaik it's specific to the 205 GTI 1.9 130/122 with power steering or A/C, power steering is standard on the 309 GTI so they are all fitted wit the oil/water hx but right on the block as there is enough room on front.

Thijs_Rallye
10 hours ago, SRDT said:

Afaik it's specific to the 205 GTI 1.9 130/122 with power steering or A/C, 

I have neither, yet I do have an heat exchanger ;). It probably depends on the country where the car was delivered as well. From +/- '90 we didn't have the 130 hp version anymore in the Netherlands.

petert

We never had the D6B down under. However, every GTi since 1987 had A/C and thus the remote cooler.

MrAndy

In Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark?, Island?) we have the oil/water exhangers in later Ph1.5 cars.

My 1988-1.9 130hp has the air/oil cooler and my 1989 and 1990 1.9's have the water/oil exhangers.

-A-