• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SRDT

Motronic MP3.1 wiring diagram and more

pug_ham

Found it, full ZX body wiring systems haynes pdf attached.

All ZX Haynes manuals can be found here

g

zx-12.pdf

Gavin Waddell

Thanks Graham

i printed the MP3.1 engine wiring diagram from the Haynes and i went through it identifying which wire went to where from the double relay plug, i then went to my relay plug and checked where the wires went and had a few differences , here what i found.

ZX wiring diagram                                                                   My double relay

Pin 1 = Fuel pump                                                                   Pin 1 = Fuel pump

Pin 2= Empty                                                                            Pin 2= Empty

Pin 3= Bridged to pin 4 double relay + pin 35 ecu             Pin 3 = Bridge pin 5 doublerelay

Pin 4 = Bridged to pin 3 double relay + pin 35 ecu            Pin 4=  pin 35 ecu

Pin 5 = Injectors pin + pin 14 ecu                                          Pin 5 =(2 wires ) 1st wire is cut purple, 2nd goes to pin 3 double relay  

Pin 6=  Empty                                                                            Pin 6 =  (2 wires ) 1st wire is cut Purple, 2nd goes to a plug wire number is 1223 t

Pin 7= Earth                                                                               Pin 7 = Earth

Pin 8= Empty                                                                             Pin 8=Shunt box

Pin 9 = Aditional air device                                                     Pin 9 = Coil pack

Pin 10 = Pin 20 ecu                                                                  Pin 10 = pin 20 ecu

Pin 11 = battery + pin 15 double relay + pin 18 ecu           Pin 11 =wire is cut, power maybe ?

Pin 12 = Empty                                                                          Pin 12 = Empty

Pin 13 = Empty                                                                          Pin 13 = Injectors

Pin 14 = Ignition                                                                        Pin 14 = Pin 9 under dash plug

Pin 15 = Pin 18 ecu +pin 11 double relay + battery             Pin 15 = Pin 1 ECU

So as you can see some of the pins do not match up from the wiring diagram and what i have.

kind of confused now, as far as i know this came out of a running car.

Anthony

I've got an unmolested ZX 1.9i MP3.1 loom at home that I removed from the car myself so am certain of its origin - I'll buzz it through tonight if I get chance to see if it tallies with what you have or the HBOL.

welshpug

mine matched the diagram from what I can recollect, definitely from a zx as I still have the single round loom plug with a short tail.

Anthony
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

mine matched the diagram from what I can recollect, definitely from a zx as I still have the single round loom plug with a short tail.

As Mei said - checked my '91 ZX Volcane 1.9i loom through yesterday and it is basically as per the ZX diagram linked to above,

pug_ham

There was a pdf of the ZX ecu pinouts at the plug end on here a while ago.

I've had a look but it's not on my attachments & as yet I haven't found it on any old hard drives I have but I'm sure I have it somewhere.

I'll keep looking & hopefully attach it once I've find it.

@Anthony or @welshpug Do either of you have it anywhere?

g

Gavin Waddell

Thanks for that guys, so what would yourtake be on my  loom not a zx one ?

If you can find it that would be great graham.

Thanks again

Anthony
19 hours ago, pug_ham said:

@Anthony or @welshpug Do either of you have it anywhere?

I had a quick look but couldn't immediately see it, but I know the one that you mean - I have similar for other ECU's but just can't find the MP3.1 one.  I'll keep looking as I know I have/had it.

15 hours ago, Gavin Waddell said:

Thanks for that guys, so what would yourtake be on my  loom not a zx one ?

Pictures paint a thousand words as they say - there were quite a few PSA models that came with MP3.1, just the ZX one is preferred as it has the correct ECU map for a XU9JA engine.

Does your have a plug for the CO pot or is it a later loom that had a lambda plug instead?  What plug(s) join the engine loom to the car body loom?  Where does the ECU look to be located in the engine bay/car from the position of the ECU plug on the loom?  You've already said that it has a plug for a combined injection/fuel relay, so that points at it not being from a 405 or BX.

In some ways it doesn't really matter as there's only small differences between the different MP3.1 configurations (e.g. lambda and ICV on late cars rather than CO pot and SAD on earlier), it'll just mean a bit more time with a multimeter working out what wires do what and whether anything needs changing to suit the MP3.1 ECU you've got.  I've never tried, but I would assume that the earlier MP3.1 ECU's (e.g. BX/405/ZX) don't have the circuitry or map to support full lambda control or an ICV that the later MP3.1 versions have, so using an earlier ECU on a later loom would require a few wiring changes.

That said, if you bought the loom already removed from the car are you sure it's MP3.1 and not a different/later Motronic variant?  Quick clue will be the ECU plug - MP3.1 uses the older 2-row 35 pin connector, whereas most later Motronic versions use a 3-row 55 pin connector.

pug_ham

Further to Anthony's remark about your loom, do you have a ecu too?

If you have, what is the number on it?

That should help us to identify at least one part of it.

g

SRDT

If there is lambda and ICV then it should be from a AX/106 or XM/605.

Gavin Waddell

I will take picture of everything this weekend and post them, i bought the loom off JoshGTI who was a member on here a while back, i found some of his old posts but the links don't work anymore. I know that some of the usual from the forum helped him out to get it sorted.

Gavin Waddell

Ok so here is photos of most of the plugs

20211129_183523.jpg

20211129_183458.jpg

Gavin Waddell

After a bit of  resizing 

20211129_183458_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183407_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183348_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183331_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183246_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183136_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183203_resized_1.jpg

20211129_183523_resized_1.jpg

Gavin Waddell

Ecu with number

20211129_183014.jpg

SRDT

The ECU is from a ZX 1.9i.

Gavin Waddell

Ok so the ecu is the zx one,now is the loom from the zx also. Like i said before it was bought from a running car. Let me know you want better pictures.

DamirGTI
On 11/29/2021 at 6:45 PM, Gavin Waddell said:

20211129_183523_resized_1.jpg

This temp. sensor looks suspiciously like the ones from the TU multipoint engines (goes on top of the TB on TU's)  .. Motronic 3.1 BX , ZX , 405 , 605 all have different temp. sensor to that on the picture above .

Thus , id say the loom might be from an 106 .

Take an photo of the complete loom , as bit by bit of it doesn't help much .

Also , there's usually Bosch number stamped on the ECU connector - which numbers are on that ECU loom connector  ?

D

welshpug

loom colours do not correspond to citroen wiring, aka all green and yellow :lol:

that IAT shown is a common item used directly in the throttle body, same as a gti6, I would agree with damir that its likely to have come from an early 106, I believe the XSi used them,   check the loom for a map sensor plug though, I'm sure the 106 had an external one, though that may have been the MM1AP on the Rallye.

your best bet is to sit down with a meter and do a pinout list from the ecu plug, it is easy enough to move pins around in those plugs if any don't match what the ecu needs.

welshpug

looking quickly at Autodata the 106 used a 3 wire idle valve, also had a throttle body heater, the wires will be numbered also.

Gavin Waddell

Just went and had a check on the ecu plug for a bosch number and it only had AMP 925 380 stamped which i guess is the plug manufacture ID.

I did a pin out check of the Ecu plugs,i used the alfa romeo pin out guide i found on here and everything corresponded. Its just the double relay has some cut wires and a few have some dodgy connectors that i can't work out. I will take some better pictures on thursday as i am on Christmas holidays.

Gavin Waddell

Here a a few pictures of the entire loom, it looks like the ecu and double relay go in the engine bay, and not under the seat like a bx loom.

20220103_152231.jpg

20220103_152131.jpg

pug_ham

It's looking much more likely to be a loom from a ZX imo, especially looking at the moulded plug caps & not the usual rubber boots.

From what I remember of the one ZX loom I worked on, it didn't just have green & yellow coloured wires that Mei suggests & if it has the CO pot plug, you won't have a lambda.

g

Gavin Waddell

If your thinking is correct it means that it should correspond to the the zx wiring diagram ?

Anthony

Curiously, I wonder if the loom is a mish-mash of multiple different looms - you appear to have a mixture of the Jetronic-style JP connectors (e.g. the fuel injectors plugs), early 90's era unsealed connectors as used on a ZX loom (e.g. the CO pot plug) and the later style JPT connectors with the resin sealed ends as used on most mid-90's ish PSA cars (e.g. the air temperature sensor plug) and I've certainly never seen that mixture of connector styles on an original loom.

The wire colours don't remotely tally up with my ZX loom either - that's almost entirely green, brown, yellow and grey, rather than the rainbow of colours you've got.  Obviously colours don't mean much on PSA looms, but that along with the presence of the later style connectors does seem to support my feeling that isn't an original ZX loom but perhaps something later that's been hacked about and re-wired to suit MP3.1.

Gavin Waddell

Ok so i went and did some hunting on the forum, i originally bought the while set up from a forum member Joshgti.

I went and found his old build thread and after reading through his posts, i found out that he got a full bxgti loom which he cut up to have the ecu in the engine bay ? He then also used a 106xsi loom ( can't figure out what for) i think may be a lambda? 

This would explain the mix match of wires etc.

So now i need to find a 106xsi wiring diagram and a bxgti one. He also stated fitting a lambda .

One thing i also had a quick look at was the IAT which is supposed to go into the throttle body but couldn't see where it goes.

So now that i have a beginning......