• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ArthurH

Air filter - when to replace?

ArthurH

Just wondering if there was any good advice out there about when to change an air filter element.  My son is running a K&N element in a (mandated) standard housing in his race 1.6 8v.  The filter is a little discolored, but has probably only done a few hundred miles from new.  As he is on a tight budget, he understandably doesn't want to waste money changing anything unnecessarily, but also can't afford to give away any BHP.

Any thoughts?  Advice?

Tom Fenton

Buy the cleaning kit!!! Job sorted.

• Like 1

ArthurH

Turns out there's a cleaning kit ! Who knew....?  Thanks Tom.

Tom Fenton

As it’s a race car clean it every meeting. I’d also consider not oiling it after you’ve cleaned it. Every little helps!

ArthurH

As they say; 'great minds think alike' ;).  I was worrying about how much the self applied oil would reduce the flow.  I'm guessing that a cleaned filter would never flow quite as well as a brand new one, but it would be quite acceptable for a road car.

xstian

Even a new filter should be oiled, that's what catches the dirt. Surly, if you don't oil it you may as well not bother having it or just use a thin mesh. 

Tom Fenton

Yes the filter "should" be oiled, but in a closely fought race series, what is more important to you, possible slight power advantage, or ensuring good filtration for an engine that may only do a season or 2? So like I say, if it was me, I wouldn't oil it. I'm assuming the regs say that a filter of some sort must be in place in the standard air box.

ArthurH

Your assumption about the regs is correct Tom.  And yes, the greatest risk to the engine is probably sand/dust from a gravel trap 'incident'.

11 hours ago, jackherer said:

K&N sell a device that tells you when the filter becomes restrictive and needs cleaning, they're not cheap though - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381956189037

But you can get exactly the same thing without the K&N logo for much less - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223307984145

That is quite some mark up for obviously the same item!  Thanks Kieran.

welshpug

original fit filter was an oiled foam item much like pipercross used to be