• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Jakob

Where to source nylon lever bearing - fits in gear selection bar

Jakob

Hi,

I had to do some welding on the 205 gear selection bar that runs under the car, and forgot to remove the inner nylon bearing that goes over the "ball joint" that sits upwards on the front sub frame. I got a soup of melted nylon out of it.

The peugeot article no.: Lever bearing 243639 The diameter is 15mm. It is bigger and than the small joints/linkage that goes across to the gearbox. See pictures

I have tried local scrap yards, Peugeot, searched google and cannot find any where to source this little sucker. Anyone have an idea where to get this?

Plan B: Make one - Anyone done that or suggestions?

Plan Z: Buy a new / used selection bar - Any suggestion where to source?

Lever bearing.JPG

Selection Bar1.JPG

Tom Fenton

Never seen one separate. You could cut the housing off, weld a tab on, then bolt an M8 rose joint to the subframe for the linkage to pivot on.

Jakob

That was a really good suggestion. If nothing else comes up, then that might be the solution. Thanks :-)

welshpug

Have seen Miles do just that, you could even do it with a bit of angle and a nut and bolt if you don't weld.

farmer

I have new Peugeot ones I collected over the years

5er posted as hard suckers to find

Be a little more if posted to Denmark

Edited by farmer

SRDT

Could you please take measurements on a brand new one so that we can 3D print it later?

It seems 2430.18 "half bearing" is also NFP.

farmer

I also have new Peugoet ones of those 

Jakob

@farmer, had I seen your reply earlier I would properly have bought it. Instead I got inspired from Tom Fenton's advise, and went and bought a simple aftermarket "ball-joint" (10 EUR) and welded a bracket for it to bolt on. It turned great, and actually the "male" joint still on the front sub frame on the 205 had exactly same measurements, so it "clicked" right on after first test fit. So I did not use the "male" ball that came with the ball-joint "kit", only the "female" cub.  This cub also have no plastic inside, only a metal spring which is good IMO. If it ever get worn out, I just unbolt and fit another 10 EUR female joint on. Nice and simple.

As you can tell from the pictures, I cut the old OEM "cup" almost completely off, but left some for support.  If others want to do the same fix, then just cut it all off, dont leave anything still sitting there. This will retain the exactly 205 OEM hight with the OEM "male" ball still on the sub frame, and the new-welded-on bracket do not have to be that long. The 205 was not near me when I did the welding, the car was  located somewhere else. So I did the first test fit after everything was welded. Found the original fit, and it sits a few mm higher which was ok. See last pictures with both "male" joints aftermarket vs. oem 205 by side - the one in the cub is the original 205 with the metal clip/spring on.

BTW it goes on to 605 diesel gearbox, that is why angle on leaver is changed for the linkage to all fit in there.

IMG_2307.thumb.JPG.7eb8f6e0694789b1ec64177c7995b944.JPGIMG_2306.thumb.JPG.8cfe9ab1037b265625095535ca25efc1.JPGIMG_2291.thumb.JPG.512a3f60200a97de6b87a6e9f13d6afb.JPGIMG_2294.thumb.JPG.509e2859ac6c044ffa24940c0325a419.JPGIMG_2310.thumb.JPG.2f2dc7f28ee15c764940622eadaa1f31.JPG

SRDT

Nice, this M8 ball joint looks like quality stuff.

For just a few cent more always use ball joints with the security clip like this one.