• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

stevie67cars

Car been stood for 10 years

stevie67cars

Hi,

My 1992 1.9 Cti has been off the road for 10 years, awaiting minor restoration.  Anyway, that time has come....any tips for starting? 

Any need to flush the tank or just add 5 gallons of fresh fuel?

If tank needs flushed, any easy ways to do so?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Tom Fenton

No easy way to drop the tank contents. If you remove the hose union from the fuel rail, then power up the fuel pump either with a jumper wire to the pump or a bridge wire at the relay, you can use the pump itself to pump the fuel out into a can or whatever.

jackherer

I'd start by pulling the pump out of the tank and having a look at it first.

The last one I recommissioned after about the same length of time must have had a fairly high ethanol content in the fuel because the fuel pump was rotten and even the fuel hose that lives in the tank had turned into a gooey tar like substance.

stevie67cars

Thanks guys for the replies, will have a look in the tank first then and flush it a bit if I can with some fresh fuel.

Will let you know how I get on....

stevie67cars

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new fuel pump.....10 year old fuel must be all gummed up. 

Does anyone have any recommendations where to buy, O.E, aftermarket, what's best?

It's a 1992 1.9 CTI.

Edit: Looking at this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Tank-Fuel-Pump-for-PEUGEOT-106-205-206-206CC-306-406-607-Partner-MAM00028/221730334754?fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot|Model%3A205|Cars+Type%3A1.9+GTI&hash=item33a0286822:g:UAsAAOSwZd1VXvM3:rk:10:pf:0

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Edited by stevie67cars
Adding link

jackherer

I bought a new replacement fuel pump for my '92 a year ago, Bosch have superceded it to a new part, 0 580 314 075 is the new number, it's a newer, smaller part that comes with a sleeve to make it fit in the 205 cradle.

I just checked and Bosch are selling them on Amazon for £98 but it's worth looking about, I got mine for £55 + £14 delivery from a German seller on Ebay. It had proper Bosch holograms with a code to check on their website so it was definitely genuine.

Don't trust part compatibility on Ebay listings, the link you posted doesn't look right to me!

stevie67cars
53 minutes ago, jackherer said:

I bought a new replacement fuel pump for my '92 a year ago, Bosch have superceded it to a new part, 0 580 314 075 is the new number, it's a newer, smaller part that comes with a sleeve to make it fit in the 205 cradle.

I just checked and Bosch are selling them on Amazon for £98 but it's worth looking about, I got mine for £55 + £14 delivery from a German seller on Ebay. It had proper Bosch holograms with a code to check on their website so it was definitely genuine.

Don't trust part compatibility on Ebay listings, the link you posted doesn't look right to me!

Thank you Jack, I'll go for genuine OE then.  What about this, looks legit?

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1156367?&gshp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5O255Pv03wIVgrTtCh3cLQzyEAkYASABEgLEBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

jackherer

That looks perfect, and it's less than I paid a year ago.

As you can see from that photo it's smaller than the original but it has a sleeve to fill it out to the right diameter.

It also comes with a new length of hose and a new electrical connector. You'll need a crimp tool to fit the new plug if you don't have one already, that's a worthwhile investment anyway if you have a 205!

To be clear for anyone else reading this thread, this pump is for phase 2 205s, earlier models use a different pump.

DamirGTI

Had just the same issue yesterday trying to start my sorrento after 5-ish years .. stuck pump , there must've been a lot of alcohol content in the fuel blend as i put the fuel stabiliser too when i filled up before left standing , but it didn't help .

What i tend to do with those , if the pump motor is still good (can test by connecting the pump on the 12v and see if it barely spins ie tries but it can't) , dip the pump inlet in a clean bucked full off Acetone and seal/tape around to minimise Acetone evaporation . And let it sit for a day or two .. then apply 12v and see if it frees off , some do some don't ..

Those who doesn't want to work after that treatment i simply open up and clean the internals , the problem is in the gear mechanism (kinda like a small gear oil pump and el. motor on top ..) just an light layer of stale fuel varnish here jams the mechanism completely .. that's the pump inlet .. another area which needs cleaning up is (free of fuel varnish deposits) is the electric motor commutator .. after that's done the pump can be reassembled and it'll work (time dependent for how much "meat" you have left on the pump commutator and the brushes)

Dunno if you can take apart an Ph2 pump and reassemble like Ph1 and 1./5 one , at least id try "dipping in Acetone" and see what happens .

D

Roon

Found this thread via the search and thought brill but as jack said the part is for a later car. 

Anyone have a link to a bosch unit they may have purchased lately. 

After a fuel pump and a sender as dont wanna risk reliablity while abroad in it this year. 

Mines a 1986 1.6.l originally. 

Cheers

DamirGTI

Ph1 style pump OE is Bosch 0 580 464 993 , bu you can fit 0 580 464 998 also .. as well as some other .

D

jackherer

I don't think you'll find a new sender easily but they seem to be very reliable so I wouldn't worry about it.

Roon

Thanks for the above info but was still really struggling with making heads or tails with part numbers ect. Going to leave the sender for now as it works and worst case I don’t have a gauge. 

Thats my pump removed. No part numbers anywhere not a clue of the make. 

Found this bosch unit looks like it will do the job? 

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/bosch-1156309.html

40E40381-0D5C-4F68-A353-4939C6FF0C6C.thumb.jpeg.acdc5d4eb5a2b32d2108e2d84b3f6f21.jpeg

Miles

Wrong one as thats a phase 2, both Bosch pumps, get the fitting kit from Bridgecraft and pump from Glengoe and a nice modern pump with a good flow rate

farmer

The senders are hard to find now from most usual sources but they are reliable 

stevie67cars

Old topic I know, but I got sidelined in 2019 (small matter of a divorce :(), so I am just getting around to my 92 CTI now.  I've checked out some of the old links above but it seems that pumps have gone through the roof and are even unavailable.

Any more suggestions where to get a decent unit or have there been any other reliable sources in the last few years?

Thanks in advance