• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

Up to date rear shocks advice

Callum

I'm having trouble with my steering and while checking various things other have suggested on other threads I noticed my rear shocks are the black bilstein ones and the steering symptoms are similar to the problems associated with them.

I use my car daily and the spec is b4 front struts wth eibach pro line springs and baker bm group n strut rubbers. What are the best suited rear shocks available now? I don't mind using something uprated as long as it's not to extreme, I won't ever be using the car on a track but will blast it down b roads from time to time, thanks in advance 

jackherer

What part number is on your rear shocks? They updated them and by all accounts they got a lot better. The old, borderline dangerous, ones are BNE-1931.

Callum

I will have to check, the previous owner fitted them roughly 5 years ago so they are far from new  

Callum

After close inspection I found I don't have bilstein rear shocks but instead boge the same as the picture below, are these good? The rear end is very harsh over bumps also worth mentioning is the rear is lowered around 30-40mm 

20190113_150647.jpg

pug_ham

Can't vouch for the quality of the Boge shocks but if it's harsh over bumps are you sure your rear beam doesn't have a seized radius arm.

That's a common cause of rear end problems.

What exactly are your symptoms?

g

Callum

The axle has been rebuilt and i checked the arms for play and movement a couple days ago. It's harsh over bumps and also the car doesn't hold the road as well as I would like 

dcc

I have recently seen a rebuilt axle which came in for lowering. It was f***ed.

Steering issues aren't usually related to the rear in my experience

More likely to be oval ball joint holes in the hubs

Inner track control ends

Steering rack play

Wishbone balljoints

Wishbone bushes

Steering rack bolts

Top mount bearings

Wide sticky tyres

Callum

I found the only place there is play is on one track rod end, I've done a geo on it and the rear axle isn't square either and the caster is out so when I have a chance to change the track rod ends I'm going to see if I can move the axle and front subframe to square everything up. 

Callum

Does anyone have a recommendation on good rear shocks for the future?