• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Doc 205

Mi16 to dellorto carbs manifold

Doc 205

Hi folks. As can be seen in the pictures below, the carbs and air filter on my Mi16 stick up so that I can't fit a standard bonnet on the car. Additionally, I believe the angle of the carbs is making them run less efficiently than they should.

Does anyone know of a manifold with a slide downward bend in it that could link between the engine and carbs, resulting in the carbs sitting more horizontally, meaning that I can get a standard bonnet on it and so that the engine runs as it should? Any info/links would be appreciated. Even better if someone has one spare!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

jackherer

Colin Satchell is the only person that makes manifolds that are the right angle but they are intended for throttle bodies to be mounted upside down so they wouldn't be much use for carbs!

He may well be able to make you one with the flanges the right way up, it's definitely worth asking him - https://www.satchellengineering.co.uk/

Doc 205

Excellent, thanks for your prompt response! I’ll give him a shout. I don’t think there is enough ‘meat on the bone’ to re-angle the existing straight manifold. 

jackherer

Your existing manifold is probably a Jenvey/Longmans one so you're right there wont be anywhere near enough material to reangle it.

I forgot to say, the ones Colin makes start out as a standard injection manifold/plenum, he cuts them up then welds DCOE flanges on. You can use either the Mi16 manifold or a GTI6 one. I've got a GTI6 one on my Mi16, it just needed a small adjustment to a dowel hole position.

Doc 205
59 minutes ago, jackherer said:

Your existing manifold is probably a Jenvey/Longmans one so you're right there wont be anywhere near enough material to reangle it.

I forgot to say, the ones Colin makes start out as a standard injection manifold/plenum, he cuts them up then welds DCOE flanges on. You can use either the Mi16 manifold or a GTI6 one. I've got a GTI6 one on my Mi16, it just needed a small adjustment to a dowel hole position.

Good to know, thanks! One other question for now. The silver braided line coming from the inlet manifold serves the brake vacuum. Is it poor practice to have a single line coming off one branch of the manifold? I.e. would it spread the load a bit better to have a line coming from each of the 4 branches? Or does it not matter?

welshpug

yes Colin can put the flanges the more traditional orientation, drop them a message on the Facebook page

jackherer
2 hours ago, Doc 205 said:

One other question for now. The silver braided line coming from the inlet manifold serves the brake vacuum. Is it poor practice to have a single line coming off one branch of the manifold? I.e. would it spread the load a bit better to have a line coming from each of the 4 branches? Or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter, mine is like that.

• Thanks 1

Miles

Never had a issue but generally use the Jenvey manifolds and you can get linkages that fit under the carb's, looking at the pic it looks like a modded std manifold

Doc 205
27 minutes ago, Miles said:

Never had a issue but generally use the Jenvey manifolds and you can get linkages that fit under the carb's, looking at the pic it looks like a modded std manifold

Thanks Miles. Where can I get the linkages that go under the carbs? I think that would really help to reduce the height. 

Miles

Glenco do them, Around Reading way I think

Doc 205
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:12 AM, Miles said:

Glenco do them, Around Reading way I think

As an FYI, apparently the bottom-attached throttle link is only available for Webbers. Very frustrating!

Doc 205

Bit of an update... I managed to get hold of an intake manifold with more of an angle from a friendly chap on the forums. Having eyeballed the new manifold alongside my engine, I'm still not convinced it's going to alter the angle of my carbs sufficiently to get a standard bonnet on. I think the engine must be sloping really far back, or something (?).

Anyway, I'm going to try the new manifold, and if the carbs are still fouling the bonnet then I've got one last roll of the dice (sort of)...

Here's the plan (I'm not a mechanic or engineer, so let me know if I'm talking nonsense): There's an Mi16 intake manifold flange (1 cm thick, see here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/331784501738?chn=ps). I'm thinking that I could get this and have it machined at an angle to further tilt the carbs so that I'll be able to get the standard bonnet on i.e. sandwich the angled flange between the engine block and intake manifold.

Is there any obvious reason that this plan won't work? The only thing I can think of for now would be that the bolts might not line up if I sandwich the machined 'wedge' between the engine and the intake manifold? Perhaps some extra thick gaskets might take up some of the slack?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then please let me know. Otherwise, bring on the standard bonnet!

All else failing, I can get Webber carbs and fit a bottom-attached throttle link.

Edited by Doc 205
Spelling error

Miles

Is the engine tilted? as that brings the front end up

JeffR

Have you checked to see if the lower engine mount has been extended at some stage? As Miles said it would tilt the front upwards.

Doc 205

I suspect it has been tilted, though I didn’t do the conversion so not 100% sure, and to be honest I’m not sure what to be looking for in terms of engine mounts. With a bit of direction I could take a look and see. Do you have a link to the engine mounts that would make it ‘non-tilted’? I could then compare those with what’s currently on my car. Would be a nice option to swap out the engine mounts and then stick on my new intake manifold rather than faffing about with a machined manifold flange. 

JeffR

The lower mount bolts to the subframe and to the block. A standard one should be 115mm between bolt centres.

The pic is from my 405 but the centre to centre distances should be the same as a 205. I'm sure someone here has a 205 one handy and can check the measurement.

IMG_0749.JPG

Doc 205

Great, thanks for this. Will take a look!

JeffR

Service Box has the same part number listed for the lower engine yoke in a 205 & 405.

Doc 205

Checked the length of the lower engine mount. It’s 115mm, I guess this hasn’t been monkeyed around with. Looks like i’ll need to mess around with the carb set up. Should be fun and games. Will keep you posted on progress.