• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Grez4

205 1.8D - HDI Conversion.

Grez4

So.....not often I post about projects etc, there is a first time for everything I guess.

Last weekend I stumbled across a 205 for sale in a nearby village. The owner had dropped in a HDI engine from a 306, he had managed to bolt up the exhaust and make a start on the wiring but that was about it.

Not really needing another 205, but fancying a project and keen to snap up the other spares he had for sale we agreed a price and dragged it back to mine.

Day 1.

So this morning I managed to spend a bit of time looking over things and trying to make some form of plan.  In short I need to resolved the following to at least get it running.

*Plumbing - No cooling pipes have been attached / secured.  I also need to find a suitable rad if I can't find one in the back of the garage.

*Fuel - I am assuming I will need to source a lift pump as the 1.8d did not use one.  

*Loom - The previous owner has fitted the ecu to the rear of the battery tray and started to cut/shorten wires before getting bored or distracted with other projects.   I am going to need a good HDI loom diagram or perhaps I may  nee to source a fresh loom as trying to pick up on someone else's cut loom is not easy (I have not played with a HDI loom before).

*Air intake - I need to track down the intake pipework and/or decide to factor and intercooler in.

So, I will add pictures ASAP but for now I need to start googling for some solutions to the above. A previous quick search didn't return many results.

Edited by Grez4
Title change

Grez4

Some pics

46532934601_2d7275178d_b.jpg

45619547535_4c56f67ca3_b.jpg

46532934751_4b9bd9bd82_b.jpg

xstian

Interesting project. I have a 205 van converted to a xud9 TD. A HDi conversion would be interesting.

• Like 1

SRDT

Try to use an external lift pump like on the Renault DCI so that you don't have to source a fuel injection gas tank.

The HDI engine probably doesn't need a big radiator, a diesel/GTI one should do.

Grez4
11 minutes ago, SRDT said:

Try to use an external lift pump like on the Renault DCI so that you don't have to source a fuel injection gas tank.

The HDI engine probably doesn't need a big radiator, a diesel/GTI one should do.

Good shout on the fuel pump, I was thinking similar.

Grez4

Minor update...

A cheap pump was sourced and used to drag fuel out of the tank - Thanks Amazon!  Once fully up and running I may look to upgrade the Chinese special.

I spent a few hours working through the loom, managed to get things in a state where it should fire.......sadly it does not :(   

On the positive  note it does splutter into life with a bit of Damp Start, so at least I know the engine is not scrap.  Looking closer at the loom and wiring it suggests that something has been wired seriously wrong in the past, things have been a little melty melty.  I could therefore be fighting a loosing battle with the ECU.

I am now looking for an ECU and loom before going much further.

Grez4

Update.  Not had too much time to spend on the project recently.  It does now however have a loom fitted, I just need to figure the pin-out this weekend so it can be mated to the 205 loom.  Once complete I will see if the ecu that came with it actually works, looking at some of the relays / plugs I suspect it may not but fingers crossed.

Anyone with any pin-out diagrams for the 306 HDI - feel free to share :)

Grez4

Minor overdue update..  Finally got round to this again today.  

It cranks and the fuel pumps runs, just no voltage to injectors.  I think there are three possible reasons:

1- ECU is locked

2- I have missed something with the wiring

3 - It needs a bit more cranking / fuel pressure (I am told it will not attempt to fire the injectors until sufficient pressure is reached)

blacksmoke2.0

Sounds like a locked ecu to me or your 12v perm ecu live to the alternator isn't wired up. I've done this conversion to my 1.6 gti. If you need any more info give me a shout

20190516_132851.jpg

Grez4

Thanks,  Any pin-out info on the loom would be great. 

Ideally I need to test both ecu’s I have to rule them out.

Grez4

Thanks,  Any pin-out info on the loom would be great. 

Ideally I need to test both ecu’s I have to rule them out.

Grez4

Alternator / live is wired ok, I believe as it was pretty hard to get that bit wrong.  

blacksmoke2.0

I've got all the pin out data off a single plug 306 loom if that's any good? 

Grez4
4 hours ago, blacksmoke2.0 said:

I've got all the pin out data off a single plug 306 loom if that's any good? 

That would be a massive help.

blacksmoke2.0

Give me a couple of days and I'll sort it out. 

Grez4

Cheers Brad

Grez4

Day? No idea?

I have been a bit busy with various things so little work or updates.   I did today however have time to figure out that the cheap pump I was using didn't supply the HP pump with enough pressure to actually allow it to work.   After badly fitting an inline pump that had been removed from the track car for being a little bit intermittent....it fired straight up.!!

She lives!

Before I try and chuck it all back together.... FMIC? or not?  I am trying to get this thing running with bits out of the garage but an FMIC would require a bit of money.  hmmm.

welshpug

beware of going overboard and straight down the bigger is better route with an intercooler, looking at what lots of oem installations work very well with you dont need anything particularly large to work very efficiently.

maybe a dropped rad with an intercooler above, using a wide shallow but relatively deep core as the mk6/7 transits used could fit.

Grez4

Being stuck at home has meant I have a bit of time for this one.  New problem... the rad does not fit with the current alternator setup.  Today will be spent trying to find a work round. 

Ozymandis

Several people have had the normally aspirated XUD, alternator mounting brackets from me and one lad said it was for an HDi.

Never tried it myself, so it may be wrong.

Grez4

Thanks Jay, 

I will have a look at that.