• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

TACHYON

rear beam alternatives

TACHYON

I'm wondering which rear beam to look for as my 1.9 Gti basket case donor is without one at all and the rolling 1.1 shell I have to rebuild with is on drums. Is there an interchange list anywhere. 
 Not necessarily  a full on race spec  I'd like to be able to compete in local rally  events but cost is part of the criteria I have full workshop facilities. 

Ozymandis

You can use any beam as the base for an axle, if it`s not a GTI one then you will have to get the appropriate torsion bars, anti roll bar, anti roll bar end plates and the brakes of your choice.

Drum brakes or disc brakes fit any beam and all standard bars fit in any beam.

TACHYON

so is there a rear axle assembly with discs etc from another pug that can be used rather than getting all the parts individually, as you can guess 

i am not familiar with  205's

Tom Fenton

Simple answer no. 

TACHYON

I'm not arguing cos I don't know but I see mention of 309 axles and xantia, I wonder about 206's etc which are probably more available to me but I've been looking though not exhaustively for a 1.9 gti with no success 

Putte205

If I were you, I'd get a new rear axle from Imaxle shipped, buy new bearings and thensource discs, calipers, carriers, shields etc from here or ebay. Not the cheapest way, but you will end up with a brand new rear end

jackherer
13 hours ago, TACHYON said:

I'm not arguing cos I don't know but I see mention of 309 axles and xantia, I wonder about 206's etc which are probably more available to me but I've been looking though not exhaustively for a 1.9 gti with no success 

The only axle other than a 205 one that will fit straight on is a 309 but they are wider which isn't great for handling and they are much harder to find now!

Any mention of fitting axles from other models (206, 306 maybe, not Xantias unless you want to fit hydraulic suspension!) involves heavily modifying the bodyshell and is not a very good idea.

Check your local rally event rules too before you modify anything.

SRDT

The 205 gti beam is beefier than the regular one, you can also find it on the cab and automatic transmission 205. When you buy parts keep in mind that early GTI torsion bars can't fit a later beam.

The arms with disc brakes can be sourced on a 306/ZX/Xsara.

Ozymandis

I hasten to add any 205 beam as a base for an axle, doesnt have to be a GTI one, all the bits are interchangeable. You werent clear as to wanting to use an axle from a different vehicle.

Very very early 205 axles use a different size on the torsion bars.

An 1100 beams fine to build into a GTI spec axle, and often are in better condition where the bearings/pins fit, probably due to weaker springs and moving more in use , for discs you dont need disc arms, just the disc stub axle, its longer than the drum type.

dcc

Don't cock about, get one from somebody who knows what they are doing. Not I'm axles. A rear beam set up poorly will ruin a 205 and it's handling.

There are plenty of guides and information on here. Anything you want to know has already been asked. Anything you want to do has already been done.

I don't know of your engineering ability, but I know of people who have cut xsara axles down to the right size, converted to red, fitted 306 arms, used parts from just about any car you can think of. Use the search function

Putte205
4 hours ago, dcc said:

Don't cock about, get one from somebody who knows what they are doing. Not I'm axles. A rear beam set up poorly will ruin a 205 and it's handling.

There are plenty of guides and information on here. Anything you want to know has already been asked. Anything you want to do has already been done.

I don't know of your engineering ability, but I know of people who have cut xsara axles down to the right size, converted to red, fitted 306 arms, used parts from just about any car you can think of. Use the search function

Whats wrong with Imaxle? 

dcc

Having first hand experience of their build quality, I can honestly say that it's poor at best. The bearings failed on an axle after 2 stages of a rally, destroying a shaft too. The crossmembers seem great value though, replace the bearings and away to go.

TACHYON

Been away from the pc last couple of days but thanks to all for the information, a few more questions . 

1/ The cost of IMF axle then arms and discs is too much money for me.

2/ "An 1100 beams fine to build into a GTI spec axle, and often are in better condition where the bearings/pins fit, probably due to weaker springs and moving more in use , for discs you dont need disc arms, just the disc stub axle, its longer than the drum type."..................The bearings on my shell are all excellent so I'm considering 306 arms and discs,   think I can buy the assembly used cheap enough though  I've a 306

break in the yard I might cannibalise

3/ would coil overs on the standard 1.1 suspension make any sense?  Have done similar in the past on off road stuff

Thanks for "The arms with disc brakes can be sourced on a 306/ZX/Xsara." is good intel.

4/ "309 axle" is that any 309 (with discs of course) narrowing one isn't a problem but I guess if I find one it would probably be worn on the bearings etc 

pugdamo

I can also give first hand experience of poor workmanship, I serviced a 206 for a good friend and advised play in the axle, they sorted their own replacement axle from im axle and I fitted it, 7 months later it went for MOT and failed on play in the axle, I rechecked it at work and it was in the bearings and to be honest it was a lot worse than the original axle, after a phone call to them they asked how much play was in it because some is fine. I looked at reviews of the company online on serval forums and it wasn't pretty. After the axle failed so quick and their comment of some play is fine I told them to get an axle from somewhere else and try to get their money back, they did get an axle from somewhere else but because im axle were willing to offer an exchange due to it failing MOT they couldn't get their money back. 

TACHYON

As I said not interested in IMA though perhaps someone should start a poll with actual users participating  in the appropriate place. I spent years selling  reproduction parts and used to appreciate feedback to help me know what brands to stock - or not

Any feedback on coilovers?

TACHYON

I've collected a little more cash so back onto researching rear axle options. I understand the 1.1 drum brake beam is ok for the job I've the chance of 206gti axle complete can I use the arms ,brakes etc from this.

I have spent time researching but it's a rather head spinning subject 

welshpug

206 bits are more akin to 106, very different to a 205.

only bits you can use are the disc brake calipers.

TACHYON

Thanks for that I'll keep looking