• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

Basic settings for ignition timing, fuel, air mixture and idle

Callum

I need to have my car set up properly as i feel its not performing how it should be.

Since owning the car i have fitted a cambelt kit, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, all fluids have been changed, cleaned and oiled the air filter, replaced the coil, new fuel and genuine oil filter and also changed the engine mounts I also only use v power fuel.

The engine starts and runs okay but i would like the throttle body cleaned as the revs can be between 1000rpm and 1500rpm, I've checked for split pipes but couldn't see anything i will be fitting a new tps for peace of mind, ill also have the afm cleaned then everything set up to basic settngs and optimised on a rolling road.

I spent sometime looking through thread after thread trying to find a guide with all the figures but I couldn't find one just bits of information here and there. Would someone be able to tell me the figures for setting each part up so I can give them to the tuner so they know where to start thanks

PhilNW

A Haynes manual has the relevant info

Callum

Great from what I've read the one that you can download on a pdf is just a basic copy? Does anyone have the other type with all the information that could photograph it for me 

jackherer

It is in the PDF, there are only one or two chapters missing and IIRC someone scanned them fairly recently so a complete copy should be available.

This is the procedure to set the throttle initial position straight from the pdf:

549852742_ScreenShot2018-12-17at11_02_07.thumb.png.37534f46f9ed45b31bf48e159365c87e.png

608553095_ScreenShot2018-12-17at11_04_25.thumb.png.c8f5d99aa086547577359a470d3cf3a0.png

Callum

Had my car looked at by tipton garage in Devon near Exeter and one of my injectors is 7% weaker than the rest, all have been cleaned the timing was out a bit so that's been set they also set the idle but said the tps is a bit iffy, it still made good power on the rollers though! 

received_648839912232629.jpeg

jackherer

That looks healthy,

A multimeter with a beep continuity function is useful to test an intermittent TPS, if the switch is flaky the beep sound crackles or cuts in and out briefly but the LCD display wont have time to update.

Callum

Okay I'll give that go can I do it without removing the switch? 

DamirGTI

Myself I found that much of the idle issues on Jetronic system can be blamed on the distributor .. there's too much advance low down to begin with , and the springs inside the dizzy tend to weaken tension over time ..

So what I always do with those is tension the initial dizzy spring and re-set the ignition timing on the road by ear afterwards .. try and see if it works for you , I bet you’ll notice difference instantly – a little bit more power/torque and stable idle just like an Motronic 1.3 variant has .

Other than that I set the AFM idle mixture screw 7 turns out from the fully down

, TB butterfly screw till it barely touches the leaver then 4 full turns down , then the big air bypass screw on the end for fine tuning the idle speed but after the fuel mixture and ignition timing is set and done .

Fuel mixture I set via AFM and an adjustable FPR by monitoring wideband sensor .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

jackherer
1 hour ago, Callum said:

Okay I'll give that go can I do it without removing the switch? 

Yes, just unplug it.

jackherer