• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
opticaltrigger

Advise on 3 pin cooling fan sensor wiring.

opticaltrigger

Hi Guy's, working on the project car again, and I need to ask if someone could tell me what the pin outs are on the 3 pin fan sensor switch in the radiator.

I have the wires that go to it but there's no plug anymore so I need to know which pole is the supply and which two are for the fast and slow outputs.

Also guy's out of interest, how much current are these sensor switches good for, if anyone knows. The last one gave up and the plug was fried on the end of it.

Any help with the pin out would be very much appreciated.

All the very best guy's

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger

welshpug

I would try and find a loom from a zx or a 405 single fan two speed, they use a relay  so the full fan current is nor drawn through the thermoswitch, far more reliable than the arrangement the 205 uses.

I've attached a picture of the diagram shown in the haynes manual for the 405 single fan loom.

looks like pin 1 is input and 2 is high speed via the relay, pin 3 is through the resistor.

20181203_213830.jpg

Ryan

The fan has a 25 amp fuse from memory, so the switch must be rated for something like that. They're pretty beefy switches, but obviously they're not going to last forever. Normally they burn out from age or from people trying to run twin fans through a single switch.

Tom Fenton

They are s*ite these days

OK I've a few 205's to go at but have replaced numerous on my own cars over the last few years. Changed 2 switches and then had to do both again 12 months later. Garbage.

What I've done as a trial on one of them is set it up with 2x relays to take the load off the switch to see if that makes them last

opticaltrigger

Mei, Ryan, Tom,

Many, many thanks for the replies guy's. That helps loads, sounds like a relay is the order of the day here.

Just to be a complete pain and push my luck a little further here gents. Has anyone got a picture of the pins on the switch which shows which ones are number 1, 2, and 3, as I literally only have 3 wires (supply, fast, & slow.) and 3 pins on the switch to work with at the moment.

All the very best Guy's and many thanks,

O.T. 

Edited by opticaltrigger

Rob_the_Sparky

FYI: Not quite what you are asking but the 205 diesel runs the same type of thermo-switch but with a twin fan and relay set-up from factory.

opticaltrigger

Thanks everybody,

Very helpful of you guy's.

Many thanks and all the best,

O.T.