• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Rallye

Breather system and camshaft on xu10j2 built

Tom Rallye

I'm currently gathering all the pieces to start a xu10j2 conversion ( before you ask, it's a legislation thing).

I want to use the inlet and camcover of a xu9 to keep the look standard. That causes a problem with the oil breathersystem: the xu9 has two pipes just above the sump that connect to the tower, the xu10 only has one. Is it possible to just block of that one pipe on the turret?

Another issue is the camshaft: I want to use a Newman ph3 for a 205 gti. Is that possible in the head of a xu10 (I believe there is a difference in the way they are fixed in the head).

Your help would be greatly appreciated...

welshpug

I don't believe the xu9 inlet will fit the xu10 head.

also xu9 only has one takeoff on the block, the breather joins the side of the filler,

Tom Rallye

The inlet of the Gti (xu9jA) should fit if I reshape the ports (I thought...)

Than I have misunderstood the design of the oilsystem on a Gti block. There are two pipes on the block: one for filling the oil (with a take of to the cam cover) and another one wich I think you mean. I thought they both were used as an oilbreathing hose, but when I read the post above that doesn't seem to be the case. Is that correct? In that case I could simply connect the breatherhose of the xu10 to the side of the filler and it should work.

wicked

Both have 2; the other one on the XU10 is above the starter.

DamirGTI

Can fit the XU10j2 inlet manifold too , but need to shorten it , and ground off an corner of the alternator mount :

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7173.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

Tom Rallye

Could do that, but it has to look as original as possible, so it's gonna be the 1.9 inlet.

205freak

DamirGTI do you have more photos of the ports done on that head you posted??? Has said you need the 1.6-1.9 inlet manifold to have that oe look!!! On mine i use the top rockercover from the 1.6 and just connected the pipes normally...

X-mo

Hi guys,

currently building my XU10J2TE. Will use the XU9 inlet with a GTI6/V6 throttle, so there is not much room left for the oil filler tower and it's connection hoses.

Can anyone help me out with understanding the breather system of the XU10 8V a bit more?

Looking inside the XU10 filler tower both ports on the bottom feed oil into the engine...there is no barrier wich seperates the oilflow besides the little differnce in height.

Does this mean it's regardless wich pipe is used to fill oil into the engine or is there some way of connection between both holes I would block?

Comparing the XU10 8V and the 16V breather system the filler cap on the 16V cam cover simplyfies the whole system. In addition to that, the 16V system doesn't seem to use the right hole on the right side of the block.  Would it be possible to weld on an alloy filler cap to the 8V cam cover in order to ditch most of the breather pipes? Are there any experiences doing so?

Kind regards

Axel

IMG_20190224_175509.jpg

XU10J2TE Ölschläuche.JPG

XU10J4RS Ölschläuche.JPG

jackherer
18 minutes ago, X-mo said:

Would it be possible to weld on an alloy filler cap to the 8V cam cover in order to ditch most of the breather pipes? Are there any experiences doing so?

I've seen 2 or 3 205s with oil fillers on the cam cover so it's definitely possible.

X-mo

Uhuuu...this looks sweet. Just what I intended to do...I think I will make an attempt and order a cap like this.

If the filler is removed from the 8V system, would it be sufficient to just connect one of the two holes of the engine to the inlet (somewhere before the charger) to get rid of the pressure building up in the crank case?

Sorry for asking questions like that but never payed attention to breather systems as I always used stock parts.

Cheers

X-mo

Got a weld on filler with cap for the cam cover.

While waiting for the part to arrive, I digged a bit deeper into the whole engine breather system. Hope you can help me our here a bit.

Would like to use a oil seperator like this (comes from an Audi A6 2.5l)

this

It's working like a cyclone and could be hidden very good as it build very compact.

Hose nr.2 in here would be connected to the engine block the same way as hose nr.2 on the original PSA breather system.

Hose nr.3 in here would be connected to the inlet pipe like hose nr. 4 on the original PSA breather system. Would there be a t-piece connection to the throttle body needed or could this hose (nr. 1 in PSA setup) be removed?

Hose nr.5 in here would be connected to the engine block like hose nr. 3 on the PSA setup to drain the oil back into the sump.

Can anybody tell me if this would work like intended?