• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
IanH

Standard air horn location / fitment help

IanH

Right, just bought and restored an old original twin-tone air horn, it works great, just need to fit it now.

I've been trawling various images on the internet (stop that) and have not as yet found a decent picture showing the original air horn and compressor fitted, I'm guessing they go under the N/S headlight as this is where the current twin tone electric horns are fitted.

I could work this out, but just wanted to get all the info to hand including bracketry etc, before delving under the car cover and disturbing a hibernating 205.

Any pics of fitted up air horns would be very much appreciated!

n.b. hoses will be cut down, no idea why they are that long, and the horn cover grille came fitted and pretty sure its not 205, but the bracket is. Curious....

IMG_20181118_184823527.jpg

IMG_20181118_184849947.jpg

Tom Fenton

That bracket picks up on the bumper iron. With the headlight out it will be very obvious where it fits. From memory it’s a bit awkward as there isn’t much space, im fairly sure you will need to fit the bracket and horn to the car first then fit the compressor afterwards.

IanH

Thanks for the info Tom, I still haven't got around to fitting the thing yet.

Anyone have a picture of one fitted up? Just to get the correct orientation, pipe layout and correct length etc. Yes i'm one of those...

cRaig

It's not that easy to photograph with the bumper on, but this is when I fitted mine. As Tom said, I popped the headlight out and did it with the bumper/valance in place. Hope it helps!

14920752894_53fe9607d5_c.jpg

The inlet hose was quite a bit shorter, 15-20cms pointing down into the void between the valance and front panels

EDIT:

I think I asked the very same question as mine was missing the air horn when I bought it. I've found this pic I'd saved, which is presumably a factory install I used for reference!

45361838404_a0942bfdec_z.jpg

Edited by cRaig

IanH

Yes Craig! That's just what I was looking for, nice one :)

You can see that the intake hose with the filter on mine is bananas long for some reason (British Standard Banana for reference)

Makes me think this is off another car, I know that Fiamm made this type of two-tone air horn for a few others, Chrysler/Dodge Daytone Pacifica, Renault 5 GT Turbo, Maserati, Alfa etc.

It may explain the fancy grille on mine, which is pointless on a 205 as the unit is buried, but whatever, it'll look lovely for the next time I'm doing an oil change.

Edited by IanH
misspeeling

welshpug

bracket looks fine but as you can see in Craigs picture your compressor needs turning around for the hose barb to point backwards.

mine looked identical to craigs arrangement