• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

205 RYP

(RYP)1.6 GTI phase 1.5 mini resto started

205 RYP

Hello all . My very first post on here so hope I’m in the right place. Well I’d like to say hi and introduce my 205 GTI and  tell the story so far .

so F63 RYP came into my life 22 years ago when I was a young 18 year old. I can still remember the drive back to Cornwall from Exeter and just how great it was to be behind the wheel. Mileage was just under 60k. I kept it for a year and ashamed to say did the usual things to the car we did back in those days . Nothing major, 15” tsw stealth alloys, 90 spec lights and clear oval side repeaters and the all important stupid italic number plates. So after 12 months or so I moved onto a 30k miles 1.9 , also f reg. My dad took ownership of ryp for a short while before selling it on to a work colleague after about 6 months.A good ten years passed by and I would very occasionally spot ryp on the road as the new owners were fairly local. It was then in 2008 my dad got asked the question just by chance bumping into the owners of ryp if he would like to buy the little 205 back. I don’t he said but I bet my son will.

he was right. The car had been living in Plymouth and before I knew it I was driving ryp home again from Devon back into Cornwall. It was just as I sold the car ten years earlier. Even still had the red carpet I’d fitted in the boot, oval side repeaters the lot . Now I’m ashamed to say due to my other hot hatch interest (Mk2 golf gtis) ryp just sat in a friends garage from 2008-2013 very much unloved. And when my current mk2 gti was bought in 2013 I sold ryp for the 2nd time to a friend who runs a car repair garage locally.he wanted a project for him and his son to get stuck into. They did alot of work on ryp, mainly mechanical stuff and just as well as the only paint they had done was the bonnet and rear quarter panels to a pretty shocking standard. Fast forward to 2016 and I now get the call saying we’re selling the little Peugeot if your interested. Now initially I declined. As much as I wanted it back it just wasn’t practical. About a month later the phone went and a deal was offered to me I just couldn’t refuse. I’d bought ryp again for the 3rd and final time! I’m now 2 years into my 3rd ownership of ryp and now decided I want to do a full respray and light overhaul . This is where I’m now at currently stripping the car , interior , fuel tank, engine , rear beam to see exactly what’s what and what needs doing. so I guess that’s where you guys come in as I’m going to need plenty of help and advice along the way. I’ll try posting some pics.

thanks in advance guys . Dale

205 RYP

Ryp just after I bought it back the final time 

B4C1BB9A-2541-450E-A2EC-47BA473A6284.jpeg

205 RYP

And this is where we’re at at the minute, in the middle of the strip down

19331373-B9FD-4F0B-915E-93CFD1310CE0.jpeg

AEB1D359-C3F1-4175-903A-EC9717711710.jpeg

jackherer

It looks very clean in the photos, well worth putting the effort into.

I see you've already put it back onto 14 inch wheels, your 18 year old self would be dismayed no doubt :lol:

205 RYP

Yep the cars going back to standard spec. I picked up 5 x1.6 alloys for £60 so need to get them refurbed with polished centres. Ive also bought early spec rear lights and complete rear end wiring loom to change back what I changed 22 years ago. Are the 1.9 alloys worth much? they don't seem to fetch a lot. 

The garage had also fitted a full Ashley exhaust system which is going to be sold.Far too loud for me. 

jackherer

1.9 wheels do have some value but not a huge amount, as so many have survived there is no shortage of them for sale at any one time. I have about 50 probably...

205 RYP

With the interior basically striped and boxed up my attention will now turn to engine and gearbox removal. In fact im starting this tomorrow. Any advice /tips greatly appreciated. 

from what ive learnt on here ive been looking at the usual places for rust. inner wing on the jack side is very good with just a bit of surface rust.The passenger side however has had a patch welded on. I was planning on engine out anyway to rebuild gearbox and possibly engine. I keep reading about Miles, This is pug racing right? I understand he may well be the go to man with my gearbox?

barneys66

Great story - watching, and I for one am glad you're putting it on the original wheels.

21 hours ago, jackherer said:

1.9 wheels do have some value but not a huge amount, as so many have survived there is no shortage of them for sale at any one time. I have about 50 probably...

Yes, but you're not normal..!

Edited by barneys66

205 RYP

Thanks Barney. Yeah for me its got to have the correct 1.6 wheels on. Obviously the 1.9 is a better looking wheel but mines a 1.6 and im proud of that.Ive also read on here some people talk about better handling on the 14" wheels.

jackherer
1 hour ago, 205 RYP said:

I keep reading about Miles, This is pug racing right? I understand he may well be the go to man with my gearbox?

Yes and yes. He is @Miles on here.

48 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Yes, but you're not normal..!

This is true, I do have a wheel hoarding problem. I'm trying to cut down to just steering wheels these days :lol:

Harrybowling

Nice looking car! Just brought my first 205 and looking to do a restoration myself! Were are you planing to get the car sprayed as I live in Cornwall and looking for some recommendations. 

Tom Fenton
On 11/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, jackherer said:

That’s a fair hoard!! I just had a count up I reckon i have about 30 of them and 4 205’s with them on!

jackherer

I didn't even think of 205s with them fitted :lol:

That's another 12 or 13 probably...

205 RYP

Harrybowling- when it’s ready ryp will be going to Pete at creamer auto refinishers I’m Plymouth. The work I’ve seen him do is top quality and I’m pretty fussy. He painted both sides of my mk2 golf to a great standard and I get on really well with him. Don’t expect it quick but I read this about a lot of body shops. He had mine ages but I wouldn’t want anyone else doing my pug. And to be fair he did my everyday car within a week.

He painted both sides on this

85799E9A-4D72-4D69-B244-A2135A12C51B.jpeg

16CA7803-F876-4D6C-9E82-A07B6174B078.jpeg

205 RYP

Harrybowling- when it’s ready ryp will be going to Pete at creamer auto refinishers I’m Plymouth. The work I’ve seen him do is top quality and I’m pretty fussy. He painted both sides of my mk2 golf to a great standard and I get on really well with him. Don’t expect it quick but I read this about a lot of body shops. He had mine ages but I wouldn’t want anyone else doing my pug. And to be fair he did my everyday car within a week.

205 RYP

Got a few hours in on the pug this afternoon. Started by removing the fan, rad, battery and mainly bits around the front of the engine. Oh and the exhaust manifold. 

What’s people’s views on removal, get my hands on an engine lift and come out the top or bring it out the bottom and lift the car over it ? 

77EBD859-7393-4BCD-928D-BDF78103019B.jpeg

9185B0C2-7D54-4682-9E78-51F2BC30213C.jpeg

Anthony
1 hour ago, 205 RYP said:

What’s people’s views on removal, get my hands on an engine lift and come out the top or bring it out the bottom and lift the car over it ? 

Out of the top - easy with an engine crane and it'll come out with gearbox, manifolds etc all still attached

Harrybowling
2 hours ago, 205 RYP said:

Cheers for that will definitely give him a shout when it’s ready hopefully in the summer. Looking forward to seeing how your finished car looks. 

205 RYP

Did a little more tonight, mainly disconnecting the wiring loom and labelling as I go.

Any one know why a couple of posts I put up on this afternoon have disappeared?  they were there for a short while then went.

205 RYP

well thanks mainly to this forum and some of the epic resto threads ive been reading on here, my knowledge and enthusiasm for my 205 has grown massively in the last week.As has my resto in my head.Seems to be all about worn out beams,corroded blocks and rust, vapour blasting(amazing results)and powder coating.

I was going to remove engine and box as ive got a crunch when changing into 2nd. Give me chance to clean engine and engine bay at the same time and attend to any rust.However im now thinking I should really strip the engine whilst its out.The cars done 140k and I intend to keep it. looking at all these images of heads and block corroded im keen to inspect mine now.some other thoughts  in my head ill list below and if any ones got any thoughts or experience on any of it that's great.

1-Front screen removal.

I want to keep the original screen. Does this mean the only safe way is to cut the rubber and are the sunroof ones still available ?

2-rear tailgate glass.

I understand they are bonded in and have a weather strip trim piece. what are my chances of removing the trim and getting it back in after paint? Is there any need to fully remove the glass and have it rebonded in other than having a nice fresh seal?A lot of folks tend to take the whole glass out.

3-sunroof rails ( remove or not)

Mine seems to be in good condition. I appreciate its better to remove for painting of the roof but im reluctant to take them off if its not needed. Is it much of a job or not(appreciate bolts may snap) and does the headliner and drain tubes also have to be removed? Im really trying to avoid taking the front wings off or the dash out.

4-rear beam.

Mines got the correct 1.6 set up which ill keep.Ive read about the big cost of new bearings. is it same for 1.6 and 1.9 beams?

5- removing the tailgate wiring.

Im going to remove tailgate so is there any tips for unplugging the wiring. Is there a connection block near the hinges or do I need to pull all wires out through the tailgate?

Thanks in advance Dale

MrAndy

Here's some comments from me..

1-Front screen removal.

I want to keep the original screen. Does this mean the only safe way is to cut the rubber and are the sunroof ones still available ?

==> I removed the roof interior and also the A-pillars trims. Then started in the middle of the top, bending the seal (inside the car) 180degrees. I used appr. playcard size 2.5mm thick plastic cards and moved both directions from the middle to left and right. Once I get to  appr 15cm point on the a-pillars, the windscreen popped out by itself. I had no feeling in any point that anything was in too much of stress or anything. And both the windscreen and the seal survived without cracking. So go for it :)

2-rear tailgate glass.

I understand they are bonded in and have a weather strip trim piece. what are my chances of removing the trim and getting it back in after paint? Is there any need to fully remove the glass and have it rebonded in other than having a nice fresh seal?A lot of folks tend to take the whole glass out.

==> If it's not rusted, don't remove it. You need a new trim if you do it. You can maybe get one from Peugeot museum.

3-sunroof rails ( remove or not)

Mine seems to be in good condition. I appreciate its better to remove for painting of the roof but im reluctant to take them off if its not needed. Is it much of a job or not(appreciate bolts may snap) and does the headliner and drain tubes also have to be removed? Im really trying to avoid taking the front wings off or the dash out.

==> Sunroof plastic trims you can remove safely, and the sunroof window also. Iif you try to remove the metallic slides, the screws will snap. I readed somewhere that in newer models they have been replaced with special pop-rivets, but not sure about it. Anyway, I gave mine a lot of WD40 and a lot of time to marinate (2-3weeks) and still they snapped.

4-rear beam.

Mines got the correct 1.6 set up which ill keep.Ive read about the big cost of new bearings. is it same for 1.6 and 1.9 beams?

==> don't know??

Im going to remove tailgate so is there any tips for unplugging the wiring. Is there a connection block near the hinges or do I need to pull all wires out through the tailgate?

==> I would remove the roof interior trim and cut the wires on that side. Then solder them back when installing the tailgate back. I don't recaal about a connector to remove the wires easily.

-A-

Edited by MrAndy

Anthony
On 11/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, 205 RYP said:

1-Front screen removal.

Don't cut the windscreen seal if you can help it - unless the situation has changed recently, the specific windscreen seals found on models with vacuum sunroofs (has a lip to divert air over the roof) are no longer available.

4-rear beam.

The beam bearings are cheap enough to be honest - it's the tubes and to a lesser degree shafts that are costly, and these are what get damaged if you leave it too long to refurb.  1.9 (disk brake) rear wheel bearings are quite expensive as it's a combined hub/bearing, but 1.6 (drum brake) are cheap as chips.  1.6 and 1.9 beams are the same other than the hubs, stub axles, brakes and front beam mounts.

The tailgate wiring connectors are down behind the passenger side rear light.  Unplug them and feed it back up the C-pillar when you remove the tailgate.  No need to cut any wiring!