• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Thomas 1978

306 rear beam to a 205 shell

Thomas 1978

Hi peeps 

has anyone on here fitted a rear 306 axle to a 205 shell 

I'm building a 205 maxi and was thinking a 306 rear beam would reduce the need for spacers??

dcc

I dont know of a whole beam being fitted to a 205, you may be better suited to bolt the axle on and make new chassis/ boot floor mounting points to suit the axle.

The 306 axle has 'passive' rear steering, which tbh I don't like (its a bit of rubber in the body mount, which allows flex under braking). Some people weld this up to make the rear mounts solid.

I'd personally consider a 405 or xsara item if you're going down the route of altering the mounting location. 

good bonus though is the ability to alter the mounting height of the axle, allowing you to lower/raise the ride height without reducing the stock shock travel.

I think I remember thridtimelucky (Paul simmonds) fitted a xsara axle to his 205, though I think he shortened the crosstube.

If you're brave enough you could have a look at Tony Palfrey's 205 Maxi, the rear suspension set up on that is quite special :)

pug_ham

It won't fit, the centre tube of the 306 beam is too wide so the mounting points are too far apart to suit the 205 floor.

The widest you can get the beam on a 205 without body modifications is by using a 309 beam tube & rear arms with 306 stub axles & hubs which will give you about a 50mm increase in rear track width iirc.

@dcc the xsara & 306 beam are the same beam.

g

welshpug

I have seen it done, it was an utter bodge.

also rather pointless, the best handling 205's out there run 205 width at the rear, even with +150mm and 9×15 on the front.

Tony Palfrey of Maxi Motorsport you may know of, his front end is identical to the Satchell engineering hillclimber and was considering going narrower on the back to get it to handle better, it ended up quite a bit wider than Colins car in the initial build.

dcc

Graham i think the rear toe differs between them

Thomas 1978

Aww ok

i have a similar setup on the front to the satchels 

I totaled my car on this years rally GB and was thinking of rebuilding it all back into a maxi shell???

ive always like the look of a maxi but I mainly do forest events 

I know Andy baker was building a 205 with a 306 rear beam but not sure how much work was involved ??

dcc

Ah I've just twigged who you are!

The 205 looked in bad shape, but thankfully the cage did a great job!

Thomas 1978

yes it's ruined and I have a smashed knee but I'm lucky just to only have that...

just have to start all over again now lol

Thomas 1978

Apparently these guys have devoloped something different to the rear of a 205 setup

http://www.corneringforce.com/

anyone seen their setup??

pug_ham
6 hours ago, dcc said:

Graham i think the rear toe differs between them

Yeah, without going to exact specs (of which there are a few more differences) very slightly but the beam tube is identical is more of what I was getting at.

g

petert

I had Bridgecraft make me some longer stub axles when they did the camber/caster mod on my GTi arms. That is the best way to get a wider track.

Putte205

Has been done to a Dimma 205 in sweden. If i remember correctly, he moved the mounting points on the 306 tube to match the 205 ones. No cutting in the shell 

welshpug

Tonys maxi is actually running 307 hubs with a tubular trailing link and turrets on the rear.

Thomas 1978

Tonys maxi is a CAT 2 tho which I want to avoid if possible