• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

EV6 Injectors... Worth It?

Bakes100

Over the winter I will be removing all my Mi16 engine management system & replacing it with a wasted spark system with DTA S40 ECU.

I am looking for advice on injectors, to begin with the engine will be standard internally however I would like some headroom for future upgrades without having to buy new injectors. Are Bosch EV6 injectors worth using over the GTi6 IW204s? Obviously they are newer technology.

Also am I better off running smaller injectors at 4 bar or larger injectors at 3 bar? Does the higher fuel pressure help with atomisation?

Thanks

welshpug

how much headroom do you need? 

IW204's flow enough for low to mid 200's at 3bar as it is and they are cheap and plentiful.

can't comment on the EV6 injectors, Someone like Sandy is likely to be best qualified to answer that.

Bakes100

Hi Welshpug thanks for the reply,

The IW204s will provide me with plenty of headroom however I don't have any currently so really was just exploring my options as they are now a 20+ year old design. If it turns out the gains are negligible with newer units I'll stick to sourcing the 204s.

wicked

Probably your are looking at the EV6 because of the 4 nozzles?

If so, have a look at ebay for BMW or Volvo injectors. There are also late EV1 injectors with 4 nozzle. Some start with 0280155xxx iso 0280150xxx.

I run some cleaned 0280155??? 4-nozzle injectors for a bit more than the cleaning costs of the old ones I had....

Edited by wicked

Sandy

With wasted spark, it pays to run near enough the smallest injector possible for around 85% peak duty, I find that gives the best power generally and obviously maximises resolution at light loads. The newer the better as a rule too, injector design and manufacture has been an area of intense scrutiny in the pursuit of cleaner emissions, so more recent types map nicer. *With sequential injection, less duty gives more control of timing and hence cleaner running; if you have the time/resources and expertise to exploit it.

Genuine Renault Megane 225 injectors are a very cost effective "pico" style option (made by Siemens), but a little big for a wasted spark hydraulic engine at around 440cc@3bar. Bosch 0280155868 are 380cc@3bar long body (swap for OE size Mi/GTI6) and a very nice injector to use all round. In both cases, buy from Renault/Bosch dealers respectively, there are a lot of copies around, even from... ahem... reputable European Car Parts suppliers. Don't be an optimist, be wise to the corrupted and unregulated state of the aftermarket, as it stands!

Bakes100

Thanks for the response Sandy.

The injectors I'm looking at giving a go are Astra GSI Z20LET items. They are Bosch long body and 325cc @ 3 bar. PN 0280156021.

I'll update this thread once I've got them in and mapped