• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Callum

Autobright Restore To Black or Wurth Black plastic Dye?

Callum

I've been reading through the threads and i haven't found a definitive answer on which is best. I saw a lot people saying plasticare but as far as i'm aware that's no longer available. I would like to know which product gives the best all round result that being how easy it is to apply and what prep is needed and how long the finish lasts. I'm currently using auto finesse revive which looks good when first applied but after a couple weeks it needs reapplying so i'm looking for something permanent, thanks in advance 

sp_en_ny

Out of all the products I have tried the Wurth stuff imo is the best, easy to apply and lasts longer then everything else I have tried. I have not tried the plasticare stuff simply because I have never been able to get my hands on any. Apparently its the best stuff if you can get it.

Wallby

Another vote for the Wurth stuff, its brilliant.

Callum

Thanks for you replies, do you need to mask up the bodywork and red inserts when using the wurth stuff? Not sure how I would do the quater badges either 

sp_en_ny

I never have, I have got the wurth stuff on the paint and the red inserts and as long as you wipe it off straight away is not a problem. You can still clear it off after it has dried but requires a bit more elbow grease. If you have the time to mask everything up it will help as you can apply it more liberally around the edges where as if you don't mask you wont be able to.

Once done avoid pressure washing the trim you have dyed, it will remove the dye in patches and looks worse then it being faded. You can obviously re apply dye if that happens but it is a pain.

Callum

I've ordered the wurth stuff in black so waiting for that to arrive, when you day avoid pressure washing is that just until it's dry? I often use the pressure washer at work to blast my car off 

Telf

Im sick of colouring my trim every 12 months so during the refurb all the plastics are being painted. Not worried about flaking I've seen a set done 2 years ago. Still look new.

sp_en_ny

Once you have applied the dye and it has dried avoid pressure washing after. It will remove the dye in patches.

sp_en_ny

I'm with telf, I am sick of applying the dye. I plan on buying a spare bit of trim and having a go at painting it. Trouble is I have seen a bumper painted and it looked awful where it had split and cracked. Would prefer a faded look then that. 

Batfink

how often are you applying the dye?

sp_en_ny

Pretty much everytime after I had used a pressure washer to clean the car. The car has now been resprayed so can't use a pressure washer now. It's been 7 weeks since I last did it and looks as good as the day I did it. 

Anthony

I've not tried Wurth but certainly pressure washing was never an issue with Plasticare.  I have had issues with painted arches suffering with washing, but I don't know how well prepped the plastics were prior to painting and that's key.

Callum

oh really i was hoping this was going to be a permanent fix or at least 12 months before it would need doing again 

sp_en_ny

using dye will not be a permanent fix, probably get 6-9 months if you don't use a pressure washer would be my guess.

MrStock

Wurth is awesome!

Callum

I've used it to dye some rubbers are it was great but I've decided I'm going to spray my faded trims and on the arches and bumpers I'm going to use U Pol Plast X which is a paint scheme which sprays different textures and then you have different colour top coats I think this is the only permanent solution 

sp_en_ny

I have also used the wurth stuff on the interior as well like the winder handles, handbrake surround etc and on those it has lasted several years now and still don't need doing.

Callum

I was thinking of doing the same on my interior