• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Shipping Container car storage

Telf

As per the title- does anybody have any experience of storing their car in a shipping container?

I've read various articles online- it seems that the success to a large extent depends on the type of container used and the location.

Condensation appears to be an issue in old steel and aluminium containers but not so much in Corten steel containers ( no idea why?!?)

The reason I'm asking is because I've got the opportunity to hire a 30 foot container which I am thinking of using to house my engine rebuild in, store all my 205 junk but also store the GTI over winter.

The container is brand new on a complex at a local farm. Its in a row. Its raised off the floor and the interior has been coated with a anti condensation layer. The floor has been laid with wood.

I've inspected it and it appears dry but I'm concerned as to what might happen if a car is in there over winter. As its 5 minutes from the house I'd go over on the way from work and open it for venting every week .

Any advice or experiences would be great.

Edited by jackherer

sp_en_ny

When my cti was having work done to it, to keep it out of the elements it was stored in an old shipping container. The car did suffer from a little laquer peel in places over the car before going into the container. It was in the container for a couple of months from spring/summer upon getting the car back most of the boot had exploded with lacquer peel. I put it down to being in a damp container, it may have been a coincidence and there were no other news spots on the car other then just the boot.

Ozymandis

I kept a load of XU,XUD engines and gearboxes in a steel container, and they suffered from severe condensation problems,  I wouldnt keep a car in one.

Next to it was an old wagon back "box" and the stuff in that was fine, it did have a lot of ventilation, whereas the container didnt.

Telf

I do get the ventilation issue. I've been researching modern containers which seem to be vented at each corner. In terms of the complex everything has been set up for long term storage. Slot of businesses are using the facility. Surely they wouldn't do this if everything they put in there ends up damp?

Tom Fenton

Not much to add, but maybe worth asking the owner if they are willing to fit additional ventilation grilles into the container?

Telf

yeah maybe Tom, I think ill try putting the GR in it for a week or two and see how it goes maybe

welshpug

If you have space I would just buy one, the containers that we have been using to store the NextBikes before they get assembled and let loose on the streets of Cardiff were mostly Corten items, not sure what the difference is with them really, some had expanding foam type insulation layer on the roof, not had any condensation issues and I didn't notice any vents.

20 foot units seem to command a premium as everyone can find space for that size but a 30 foot is a bit more cumbersome, and the standard 8'6" width keeps the shipping costs down, when you go wider there are permits and notifications that need to be applied and paid for on top.

Telf

Hi Mei.

I don't have any space that's why  thinking of renting. I dont have a garage so it seems a reasonable idea to keep the car out the elements during winter. A plus is the farm and compound has cameras everywhere so it's quite secure and locked up after 7 pm. As usual Google has made me unsure what to do with stories of the container turning into a condensation/water trap ruining stuff inside

Kane

If you’re concerned by condensation you could always strap and line the interior with some kind of rigid insulation. Something like a 25mm kingspan or similar should keep the damp at bay. Probably going to be expensive to do the full 30 foot container so you could section off an area to the front or rear (depending on access requirements) just big enough to house the car to keep costs down. 

Ozymandis

The one we have is dates back to the 70`s, it`s got no insulation and no ventilation of any sort, and it does suffer from condensation a lot. It`s in the bottom of a narrow valley and backs on to the river, so we probably get a bit more moisture than most in the air.

Maybe find an old one from some people smugglers, they probably drilled a load of holes in it to stop the cargo suffocating?