• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz7612

Different gearboxes for GTI6

Gaz7612

Hi,

I’ve got a gti6 engine in my 205 with a 1.6 gearbox!!

Which is a lot of fun however it’s get a bit tiring on the odd day I take it to work (25 miles each way) 

Can anyone recommend a box that is still fun and readily available please?

Ideally I’d like a 1.9 or vts box but they are getting rare. 

Has as anyone tried something a bit different?

petert

Overall 5th in a VTS or Mi16 is only 4% percent longer.

ie

0.865x4.06=3.51

0.76x4.43=3.37

Is it worth the angst?

Edited by petert

welshpug

the engine ia made to rev, they're fine on that fd and 5th gear.

dcc

Put a longer 5th in your box

• Like 1

Gaz7612
2 hours ago, dcc said:

Put a longer 5th in your box

Dan,

Which 5th gear would you recommend?

I'm just getting sick of sitting at 4000 rpm at 70 mph.

It would be nice to drop that down by 1000 rpm!!! without ruining the driving experience.

Bakes100

My VTS box sits at 3500 rpm at 70 mph however I don't find that too bad. A standard 1.6 box will sit at 3700 rpm at 70 mph so at PeterT mentions there is not a vast amount of difference.

I would steer well clear of fitting a standard 1.9 GTi gearbox to a mi16/gti6 engine as 1st, 2nd, 3rd are far too long. You end up doing just over 70 mph on a 7250 rpm limiter in 2nd & just under 100 mph on the limiter in 3rd. Whereas with a VTS box you are doing 60 in 2nd & 85 in 3rd.

What exhaust are you running? A quieter exhaust may make sitting at 4k for long periods less intrusive.

If you fit an mi16/VTS 5th gear to a 1.6 GTi gearbox you will be doing 3200 rpm at 70 however you will have quite a big drop from 4th to 5th.

Gaz7612
45 minutes ago, Bakes100 said:

My VTS box sits at 3500 rpm at 70 mph however I don't find that too bad. A standard 1.6 box will sit at 3700 rpm at 70 mph so at PeterT mentions there is not a vast amount of difference.

I would steer well clear of fitting a standard 1.9 GTi gearbox to a mi16/gti6 engine as 1st, 2nd, 3rd are far too long. You end up doing just over 70 mph on a 7250 rpm limiter in 2nd & just under 100 mph on the limiter in 3rd. Whereas with a VTS box you are doing 60 in 2nd & 85 in 3rd.

What exhaust are you running? A quieter exhaust may make sitting at 4k for long periods less intrusive.

If you fit an mi16/VTS 5th gear to a 1.6 GTi gearbox you will be doing 3200 rpm at 70 however you will have quite a big drop from 4th to 5th.

Stuart, 

Thank you for that response.

Its not the exhaust that'g the problem, it's the throttle bodies that will be going on over the winter I'm worried about :-)

Have people tried the 306 1.8 16V boxes at all? how do they compare?

Bakes100
51 minutes ago, Gaz7612 said:

Its not the exhaust that'g the problem, it's the throttle bodies that will be going on over the winter I'm worried about :-)

I have never run individual throttle bodies so wouldn't know 1st hand but at a constant 70 mph (part throttle) would you get that much noise produced through the inlet?

I believe there were various ratio combinations produced for the 1.8 16v boxes in a 306. Your best bet may be to run the ITBs then decide whether the gearbox you have currently is suitable. I find the ratios of the VTS box perfect for a 16v in a 205.

Gaz7612

It would be nice to have something between the 1.9 box and the VTS one.

But saying that I would be happy with either of those I think 

petert

A 0.81:1 fifth from an Mi16x4 is probably what you want. Rare as now, but a similar ratio can be found in 306 boxes. I think it's 44x35 6th.

Or, fit a 3.94:1 cwp.

Edited by petert

Gaz7612
1 hour ago, petert said:

A 0.81:1 fifth from an Mi16x4 is probably what you want. Rare as now, but a similar ratio can be found in 306 boxes. I think it's 44x35 6th.

Or, fit a 3.94:1 cwp.

Peter, 

thank you that, could you please advise what the 3.94:1 cwp is from?

Andy

What worked quite nicely for me with an Mi16 engine in a 205 was 1st-4th from the 1.9 box, 4.06 CWP from your 1.6 box and 5th from a 6 speed gti6 box, but its 6thgear which is 0.8. You could use 5th from the Mi16 box, but , at 0.756 you would have a bit of a jump from 4th to 5th 

Andy

petert
12 hours ago, Gaz7612 said:

Peter, 

thank you that, could you please advise what the 3.94:1 cwp is from?

3:94 cwp was fitted to 87-90 1.9L GTi over here. I think it was also fitted to CTi. Also 8V 405 etc, from memory.

Edited by petert

wicked

The 0.8 5th can also found in 405 1.9d boxes iirc...

I think it will fit nice in the 1.6 box, bit shorter than the mi16/vts 5th in a 1.6 box.

DamirGTI

Early Xantia Ph1 with the XU10J4 engine also have gearbox with 0.80 fifth .. though , a bit rare and harder to find .

Also , some 306's 1.8 16v had 3.94 FD .. if memory serves me , it's a 306 1.8 1.6v cabrio with the 3.94 FD .

D

Gaz7612

I’ve managed to get myself a low mileage Xsara VTS box. Thank you everyone for your advice. 

Gaz7612

Just out of interest what’s the going rate for a good condition 1.6 BE3 gearbox?

dcc

Probably 40-100, depending on market needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1