• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

robdesmond

Removal of parcel shelf side trims

robdesmond

Good day all,

I recently bought a 1992 1.9 GTI (30 years after my first one) in Sorrento green. During the 18 previous owners time almost every interior panel has missing screws, holes, broken tabs etc. etc. I am working my way to putting it back to factory standard and now want to replace the two rear trim panels either side of the parcel shelf as there is an empty hole in one where I think an alarm push switch went. They also cover the rear speakers. However, do I need to drill the two rivets out each side that support the parcel shelf or am I just missing something? 

By the way, the door pockets were a bit floppy and also had missing screws. At sometime in the past someone had overtightened the screws and domed the holes out. After knocking them back flush and buying more screws they are nice and tight now.

Kind regards,

Rob

davemar

Have you got a photo of the area where this empty hole is? I'm struggling to picture what you're describing.

robdesmond

Hello Dave,

Sorry, I've added two pics to better explain. The holes are from some previous butchery and I want to replace both rear trim panels as a matching non-holed pair (or at least just this passenger side one). I can't get the blasted thing off as it appears to be riveted into place as per the second slightly blurry pic. The rivets hold the bracket that supports the rear parcel shelf end prongs.

Kind regards,

Rob

20181018_164254.jpg

20181018_164315.jpg

tartanbloke

Interestingly, these parts were held in place with screws on my car and you do need to remove them to get the trims off.

Therefore, drill required I am afraid.

Anthony
33 minutes ago, tartanbloke said:

Interestingly, these parts were held in place with screws on my car and you do need to remove them to get the trims off.

They're secured by M5 setscrews on earlier cars and rivets on late cars.  No idea why the change, other than it presumably saving a couple of pennies per car and it unlikely to pose an issue until after the warranty had long since expired.

robdesmond

Thanks for the responses guys. Will drill and maybe replace with nuts and bolts.

Kind regards,

Rob

forbeslongden

God I hate those things! So many times I've began removing trim and everything is going great until I come across those things, my car has that switch on it too by the way.

robdesmond

Rather late update but five minutes with the drill and all was fine. Replaced the trims and the parcel shelf supports are held with nice removal nuts and bolts. Appreciate the help and advice.

Thanks Rob