• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

trashy

Looking for a 205 GTI for fun not investment

trashy

As per the title, looking for a 205 GTI for fun not investment :)

As Mi16/GTi6  engine conversions, big brake conversions, non-OEM suspension, etc make the car less original do they actually make the car better AND make it less interesting to investors, i.e. cheaper?

barneys66

Seems to me like the modified ones sell for less, but there are so many variables it's hard to say.

Irrespectively, good luck with your search.

Telf

Fun in what respect? going quick,? tinkering with? taking to shows?

trashy
22 minutes ago, Telf said:

Fun in what respect? going quick,? tinkering with? taking to shows?

Good point.

For me:

Going quickly - yes 

Handling progressively - yes

Tinkering with - yes

Taking to shows - no

Occasional trackday - yes

Reliable - yes

Imminent repairs due to rust - no

I'm picking up a nicely modified (well I think so, anyway!) GTI on Thursday.  I'll post details when I get it.  Can't wait to have a new toy to play with :)

Telf

Rust wise- look at the various repair threads on the forums- you will soon learn all the usual places

Here are a few places I always look:

Inner wings ( under the washer bottle and the jack if its in the engine bay still.

Sills at the rear arches and the join between the rear 1/4 panel/sill

Around the fuel tank enclosure- often a mess here

Panel behind the headlights

Rear bumper bracket area

above the rear windows ( you can see cracking)

Check the underlay beneath the carpets - in both footwells - every 205 I've owned has been wet here although the floor panel doesn't rot out easily.

Check under the rear seats- often water here from leaky rear screens/seals.

If aftermarket seats have been fitted its worth looking at the mounting points from underneath the car- cracking can develop around the bolt holes.

Check the rear beam actually moves without creaking- its fairly expensive to fix

I'm sure someone will add further- if you know anybody that knows 205s take them along before you buy!

trashy

Many thanks for the tips.

I checked most of the places you mentioned - hope I didn't miss too much!

The rear beam was sorted last year, also the underbody of the car was almost stripped back to the bare shell (fuel tank, wiring and axles removed) and all rust removed, treated and fully undersealed.  Doesn't mean there isn't rust somewhere though - it is nearly 30 years old :(

Here's the link to the ebay auction for the car.  It didn't sell on ebay because the bids didn't make the reserve, but the owner and I have come to a mutually agreeable price.

ebay

Telf

interesting- I saw that the other week- i'm always looking out on Ebay.

Looks ok, I dunno if any other members on here know the car, they may do.

Telf

Point worth noting regarding underseal- I had mine done a few years back, I swear it made the damage I'm now having repaired worse- seemed to hold water beneath it and the body work- I've had it all removed and going for a straight stone chip/paint job now.

Philpooma
7 hours ago, trashy said:

Many thanks for the tips.

I checked most of the places you mentioned - hope I didn't miss too much!

The rear beam was sorted last year, also the underbody of the car was almost stripped back to the bare shell (fuel tank, wiring and axles removed) and all rust removed, treated and fully undersealed.  Doesn't mean there isn't rust somewhere though - it is nearly 30 years old :(

Here's the link to the ebay auction for the car.  It didn't sell on ebay because the bids didn't make the reserve, but the owner and I have come to a mutually agreeable price.

ebay

Looks like a good car, if I didnt have a full garage right now, I would have looked at that, have fun.

Gman

Paul, what's your budget. I have a well specced black 205 gti6 that I could be tempted to sell as I'm just not getting the use out of it these days.

Philpooma
21 hours ago, Gman said:

Paul, what's your budget. I have a well specced black 205 gti6 that I could be tempted to sell as I'm just not getting the use out of it these days.

Hi Gman,

not sure if your question was directed to me?

I need to sell some cars at the moment as I have no room in the garage.

If you are happy to share info on your car, its always worth knowing, I have been known to buy cars before now on a whim....Just ask my Mrs.

I can have a look at your profile and see what links you have to your posts :D