• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Philpooma

Headlamp removal advise

Philpooma

Help wanted please.

I’m in the process of stripping a 205Gti down for a light restoration and I’m stuck on how to remove on the the headlights.
The Haynes manual mentions unclipping the adjuster mechanism to allow removal after releasing tension on the spring clips.
I cant see how to unclip the adjuster mechanism and thats after me removing one of the headlights already. 
To do this I removed all the plastic mounting parts, however on the other side, one on the small 8mm nuts is chewed up and not wanting to come out using all usual methods.

Can anyone advise me what I need to release to remove the stubborn remaining headlight.

I have added an image of the removed headlight, is the the joint that I need to unclip?

If so how without breaking it?

E7E4A108-EFA2-440B-B6E5-E7F35F94136C.jpeg

Tom Fenton

At the top of the adjuster there is a screw with a flat slot in that you adjust. On the other end of that screw there is a small "ball" on the end. The other end of that plastic link is half open sided and snaps onto that ball. Usual way I remove is a large blunt flat bladed screwdriver onto the plastic link, and a sharp tap with the back of my hand. You will find it more difficult without the mount attached to the car.

• Like 1

brumster

large blunt flat bladed screwdriver onto the plastic link, and a sharp tap with the back of my hand

...following by the aged, brittle plastic snapping, subsequent filling of the surrounding air with an assortment of blue language, and then scouring the internet for 60 minutes for a replacement and passing out at the price people want for a piece of plastic :)

(Yes, I stockpile these things like there's no tomorrow, needs must when you rally!)

• Like 1

Philpooma

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have just taken a look at it before I saw your messages and managed to figure it out.

If it helps others I have added some images of what I did.

The image below shows the ball socket that needs to be released (already released of course)

570CD92C-D85E-4B88-A12B-221B91B61B7D.thumb.jpeg.eb9077b5bd757df1425984ee41c39332.jpeg

This is the ball that  clicks into the above socket located vertically below the headlight adjustment screw

D2234D95-F2FB-4026-9245-9F1FEB243CBA.thumb.jpeg.7a954115631790ce8bc69dc49e2b2a07.jpeg

Shown below is the side indicator and headlight, the drift shown in the image is pushing down where you press sharply to release the ball and socket.

2FDEC1F6-4956-49B3-9DE2-F92E767743CC.thumb.jpeg.c038a7e5de3e3002172f09397090f5a4.jpeg

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

I would add to this for the benefit of others, your method of pushing from the top vertically down, will not work with the assembly fitted to the car. You need to push the link arm horizontally backwards towards the rear of the car when it is all fitted in its normal position.

danj.pdx

Hi Guys,

This thread has been helpful as I needed to swap out one cracked headlight this weekend. 

On the left side headlight, the adjuster screw is about 3" long, and was not connected to the plastic adjustment ball/mechanism of the headlight I removed from the car. Looking at the headlight I removed, and the new one I'm now installing, the adjustment mechanism isn't designed to work with a 3"long adjuster, rather one that's maybe only 1" long or so. Like the photos above.

Did the factory use 2 different adjustment designs over the years, and I have the wrong type adjuster screw?

Does anyone have a spare short style screw they'd be willing to sell and mail to the US? Unfortunately there are zero options for parts locally.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Philpooma
On 10/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Tom Fenton said:

I would add to this for the benefit of others, your method of pushing from the top vertically down, will not work with the assembly fitted to the car. You need to push the link arm horizontally backwards towards the rear of the car when it is all fitted in its normal position.

Hi Tom, yes you are correct, thanks for pointing out .

I should have described this method better, the plastic link is vertical when fitted on the car, so as you say it needs to be popped off towards the front of the car

Rob_the_Sparky
18 hours ago, danj.pdx said:

Hi Guys,

This thread has been helpful as I needed to swap out one cracked headlight this weekend. 

On the left side headlight, the adjuster screw is about 3" long, and was not connected to the plastic adjustment ball/mechanism of the headlight I removed from the car. Looking at the headlight I removed, and the new one I'm now installing, the adjustment mechanism isn't designed to work with a 3"long adjuster, rather one that's maybe only 1" long or so. Like the photos above.

Did the factory use 2 different adjustment designs over the years, and I have the wrong type adjuster screw?

Does anyone have a spare short style screw they'd be willing to sell and mail to the US? Unfortunately there are zero options for parts locally.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

I've never seen a 3" long one but I guess they must have made them if you have one!  Normally both sides are the same and as shown in the picture above.  Probably best to post wanted ad.