• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Arthur

BE4r 6 speed

Arthur

Hi

Anyone on here tried a BE4r bellhousing on a BE3/6 gearbox in a 205? I see it has been done in 106 before, but I can't find it on 205's.  Apart from the discussion whether one should want to do it, would the turning circle "problem" be less with a TU engine being a tad shorter. I have TU5JP4 with BE4r now and I have  about 20 mm clearance wheel to gearbox (195 45 15 et unknown) 

BR Arthur

jackherer

The turning circle problem would be the same as an XU engine with a six speed box, the stud on the gearbox that bolts to the battery tray wouldn't move so the end of the gearbox would still protrude into the wheel arch by the same amount and the wheel would still touch it on full lock.

Arthur

OMG Duh

Why didn't I think of that? :blush:

I was thinking I could even take a few mm off the bell housing and/or move the engine a tad to right, but then I would have that same problem. Apart from the driving shafts lengths. Thinking about it, the problem would be worse in NL as driving on the wrong side from your point of view, means the right corners are tighter. 

Maybe 2800 rpm at 50 mhh, 80 kmh is not so bad. 95% of my driving is not on the "highway" anyway. (how do you say highway in proper English and not American)

Edited by Arthur

jackherer

I'd say give it a go and see what you think.

The lock you lose is not that much IMO. You only ever have that much lock wound on in very slow speed (1st or reverse gear) manoeuvres.

Highways is used in English but not in that context, I think we'd refer to that sort of driving as 'motorways and A roads' rather than with a single word like highways which refers to all roads, footpaths, tracks etc. that have public access in the UK.

Anthony

If anything, I'd say the lock problem will be less noticeable on a LHD car - turning right on mini-roundabouts without driving over them (they have raised curbs on my housing estate so I try to avoid them) is where I most often ran out of lock when I borrowed my friends 205 with a 6 speed 'box, but that won't be an issue as you'll go round the roundabouts anti-clockwise.

Arthur

Oké. Well we have a lot of roundabouts, but all quite big. Just how much longer is the be3/6? I have a feeling I have quite some ET, because the wheels are 25 mm out of the standard wheel arch. I will fit rallye arches, and than they would be just inside them I think. 

welshpug

iirc its 55mm, when you consider a standard 1.9 205 gti can have witness marks from square shouldered tyres on the metal end casing with nothing at all wrong, that's quite a lot!

Batfink

I still rate it as one of the worst modifications I did. Ratios are nice but the lack of lock really did become a bit of a pain

Arthur

I first will focus on a new exhaust damper. The car will be doing 2000 miles a year anyhow and almost no cruising  above about 50 - 55 (miles)