• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Cobalt_drill_bit

Circlip won't come loose

Cobalt_drill_bit

Hi guys,

What is the proper name of the part attached to the outer race of the front wheel bearing. Servicebox refers to this as the Front swivel pin. But I pretty sure people of England have some different term for this. Americans call this the knuckle.

Anyway I need to replace bearings and I cannot manage to get the internal circlip loose. I've tried penetrating oil, WD 40, heating with a torch and hammering on the circlip as well as on the "Front swivel pin". It wouldn't move. If I can't get the circlip to rotate when I have a chisel on one of the ends and hammering why attempt circlip pliers right?

Can someone provide suggestions to remove or destroy this completely. It would be annoying if fragments be kept in that groove.

Also before installation of a new one, how about putting copper anti-seize into the groove.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Maarten

Toddy

Use a small punch/ screw driver through the 'ear' of the circlip and flex towards the inner of the hub. Once you get this moving you can get a screw driver behind the circlip and work towards the middle of the circlip

use plenty of release fluid, plus go easy on the circlip.

jackherer
1 hour ago, Cobalt_drill_bit said:

What is the proper name of the part attached to the outer race of the front wheel bearing. Servicebox refers to this as the Front swivel pin. But I pretty sure people of England have some different term for this. Americans call this the knuckle

'Steering knuckle' is sometimes used in the UK but it's also called the 'upright' or 'spindle' and sometimes the entire assembly (knuckle, hub and wheel bearing) is colloquially referred to as the hub which is not technically correct.

AFAIK Swivel pin refers to a kingpin so it is probably an incorrect translation by Peugeot using an archaic term.

Andy

If it is any consolation, that large circlips that retains the bearing can be an absolute ****ard to get out. It seems to corrode itself into the groove . I spent nearly three hours before extracting the little sod. And yes, it did not come away in one piece . However, there was a new one in the wheel bearing kit I bought. Copper ease is the way forward. 

Andy

Cobalt_drill_bit

I'd like to see ****ard been properly spelled out.

Do forum rules allow that?

I don't believe a metal circlip would take offense on that.

steve@cornwall

it's more likely that the ****ard would take offense at being likened to the circlip.

Thijs_Rallye

I managed to get mine loose after 320000 km after heating the groove with an acethylene blow torch. I needed quite a lot of heat before the thing wanted to move.

Cobalt_drill_bit

Hi Thijs, Good to know. You know the knuckle is an important part of the car for safety. I know that some metals are hardened (and being made more brittle) by an industrial heating process. Therefore I'm a bit worried to go too hot with the torch. Have you gone to red hot of the heated portion of the knuckle? Also what was the first bit of movement of your circlip? You think Toddy's approach is a good one?

Thijs_Rallye

If I remember correctly it was (very) close to being red hot. Aimed mostly next to the circlip to expand the groove itself. Then blasted it with a penetrating oil until I got the ears of the clip to move.

Probably obvious, but replace the clip with a new one after heating it.

• Thanks 1

Cobalt_drill_bit

I managed to get both circlips out. I would also thank Toddy. For his suggestion to use screwdrivers in between the circlip and the groove and work to the middle of the circlip. That pretty much did it for the final part. Initially heating up and using penetrating oil and hammering to get things started.

• Like 1